Choice of NAS OS

deaerator

deaerator

I currently have WHS 2011 which is full to the brim with my shows and movies.

Also pretty much out live its existance in this world and shall be demoted to some other project. 

I am building something that will last me for at least 5 years minimum

I was hoping to get some input on people's choices of NAS OS (UnRaid, Xpenology, FreeNas, and or amahi), and what and why did they make that choice?

The hardware that I bought will be here in a couple of days, except for my power supply which i already own.

Rosewill RSV-L4411 Black Metal/ Steel, 1.0 mm thickness, 4U Rackmount Server Chassis, 12 SATA Hot-swap Drives, 5 Included Cooling Fans

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609DS1S00

A few of these drives.

WD AV-GP WD40EURX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" AV Video Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Edited by deaerator

simono5

I can't advise you either way but I will be interested to know how you get on.

I'm going to start a similar project soon.  Recycling some hardware and buying three new 2tb drives to get me started.

Originally I was going with FreeNAS but having spoke with a friend at work I'm going with Xpenology.

Mainly as I'm a novice and wanted something simple to set-up and run.  I also wanted to to be able to easily add drives as I go.....this is apparently easy with Xpenology but more difficult with FreeNAS.

I'll hopefully be up and running soon with 3x2tb drives which I believe will give me just less than 5tb of storage. 

Edited by simono5

deaerator

I am hoping to put and use the followig

sickbeard

couchpotato

transmission

sabnzbd

headphones

mediabrowser server

And some form of tv server for my HDhomerun OTA ATSC tuners. 

one unit to control all...

Whatever OS you end up using, I would recommend splitting all the services you want to run into groups, and putting them in VMs. It makes it much fix fix problems when things are isolated from each other, and trivial to migrate to new hardware in the future (or just move some services to new hardware).

I am running Server 2012 Essentials with Stablebit DrivePool as my storage server. DrivePool is really easy to set up and manage, and has suffered multiple drive failures so far without hiccup.

• Like 1

steve1977

I am actually using Windows 7 for mine and would highly recommend it.

If you prefer not to go with it, go with Unraid. It is the defacto standard for media servers and has a large user community and great support.

deaerator

Whatever OS you end up using, I would recommend splitting all the services you want to run into groups, and putting them in VMs. It makes it much fix fix problems when things are isolated from each other, and trivial to migrate to new hardware in the future (or just move some services to new hardware).

I am running Server 2012 Essentials with Stablebit DrivePool as my storage server. DrivePool is really easy to set up and manage, and has suffered multiple drive failures so far without hiccup.

Curious how do I go about making that setup happen.

TheWorkz

I had never seen this case before today, but I think it is love at first sight.. Thanks for sharing your config.  Originally, I was going to buy a DS1813+, but now I think I will go your route with building my own and will likely go with the Xpenology since I already have one Synology DS413j which will make the management/syncing/etc fairly transparent..