FR - Refresh from m3u

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

M3U works well but you need to be able to refresh channels from the m3u periodically, for changes to the channel line up, channel names etc. It needs to work the same as refreshing the epg

• Like 1

This already happens during the normal guide data refresh, so just make sure the scheduled task is being allowed to run. Thanks !

Spaceboy

ok, thats interesting. thanks

I've supported the FR to be able to edit channel lineups when not using the hd homerun instead

Edited by Spaceboy

• 1 month later...
Spaceboy

This already happens during the normal guide data refresh, so just make sure the scheduled task is being allowed to run. Thanks !

hi, can you provide some more info on this because i am not seeing channel names being updated in emby even though the m3u has updated? i have tried refreshing the guide several times but there is no change

CBers

I'm seeing lots of channel names wrong.

For example, I'm getting FOX HD1 instead of BBC 2 and QVC instead of ITV.

I only know what the channels are, by the programmes displayed.

I've refreshed the guide several times, but no change.

maegibbons

hi, can you provide some more info on this because i am not seeing channel names being updated in emby even though the m3u has updated? i have tried refreshing the guide several times but there is no change

@@Spaceboy you probably know this but to force a re-read of the m3u you edit the m3u tuner settings and then hit save.  This forces a guide refresh and re-reads the m3u.

I understand that you want the re-read done as part of the guide refresh process - which is perfectly logical.

Krs

Mark

Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy you probably know this but to force a re-read of the m3u you edit the m3u tuner settings and then hit save.  This forces a guide refresh and re-reads the m3u.

I understand that you want the re-read done as part of the guide refresh process - which is perfectly logical.

Krs

Mark

thanks Mark, but i understood from the second post from luke that this should happen as part of the guide refresh? that was the intent of my original question

maegibbons

I understand your understanding!  I have not tested to confirm recently but I always had to do what I suggested to force a re-read when I was testing all the m3u setup.

I believe luke could be wrong but have not tested that recently.

Krs

Mark

CBers

@@Spaceboy you probably know this but to force a re-read of the m3u you edit the m3u tuner settings and then hit save. This forces a guide refresh and re-reads the m3u.

That makes no sense, as it never changes.

Are you sure that's how Emby needs it done?

maegibbons

Not saying it makes sense! Just reporting thats what I had to do EACH TIME i changed the m3u file when I was testing integration with SD and XMLTV guides etc.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Channel names are a bit of an exception due to the fact that these can also be customized within Emby. If we were to replace the data with the names from the m3u, then any customization would be lost. 

I'm seeing lots of channel names wrong.

For example, I'm getting FOX HD1 instead of BBC 2 and QVC instead of ITV.

I only know what the channels are, by the programmes displayed.

I've refreshed the guide several times, but no change.

The channel name had to come from somewhere. Where did it come from? The server doesn't randomly generate the channel name.

CBers

The channel name had to come from somewhere. Where did it come from? The server doesn't randomly generate the channel name.

I'm assuming it comes from SchedulesDirect, as their ID is is in the tvg-id tag within the M3U file.

It's basically the same M3U file that @@maegibbons and @@Spaceboy use.

For example:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="1003" tvg-id="I50059.json.schedulesdirect.org",BBC TWO HD
http://source removed/280.ts 

This particular channel always appears at the top of the guide, even though I have channels 1001 & 1002, which appear after it.

Spaceboy

Channel names are a bit of an exception due to the fact that these can also be customized within Emby. If we were to replace the data with the names from the m3u, then any customization would be lost. 

ok so what you meant in the original response was that channel additions and deletions are processed by Emby during the guide refresh process but changed channel names are not?

then i would suggest that you have this the wrong way round, most iptv users would prefer to have the channel names update where they change in the m3u. all other clients for providers will do this. its essential for live sporting events which are updated on the day of the event. its only these channels where the name has any interest to me, for mainstream channels i would identify them by logo not name.

• Like 1

maegibbons

I would have to agree with @@Spaceboy.  For IPTV the m3u should be THE MASTER in terms of channel definition/detail and should be fully re-read and applied on Guide Refresh.  For other sources it probably is more debatable.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

I'm assuming it comes from SchedulesDirect, as their ID is is in the tvg-id tag within the M3U file.

It's basically the same M3U file that @@maegibbons and @@Spaceboy use.

For example:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="1003" tvg-id="I50059.json.schedulesdirect.org",BBC TWO HD
http://source removed/280.ts 
This particular channel always appears at the top of the guide, even though I have channels 1001 & 1002, which appear after it.

Go into the guide and check your channel sorting settings.

CBers

Go into the guide and check your channel sorting settings.

After another guide refresh, it's sorted itself out.

• 2 months later...
Spaceboy

ok so what you meant in the original response was that channel additions and deletions are processed by Emby during the guide refresh process but changed channel names are not?

then i would suggest that you have this the wrong way round, most iptv users would prefer to have the channel names update where they change in the m3u. all other clients for providers will do this. its essential for live sporting events which are updated on the day of the event. its only these channels where the name has any interest to me, for mainstream channels i would identify them by logo not name.

any further thoughts here Luke? It would be nice to have this working for the new season in August.

As I say unless you can show demand for people wanting to manually rename tv channels in Emby then I think this should be swapped around to ensure channel names are alway exactly per the m3u file. If some users want an option to fix their manually adjusted channel names then let's have that too, just I have never seen anyone request this nor can I understand why they would want to

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes more robust channel management features are planned for the near future. thanks !