Emby on Matricom G-Box Q, Howto?

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

Has anyone put Emby on the G-Box Q?  I have HATED this box since the day I bought it.  It has never worked right, remote sucked, updates broke it more than fixed anything.  If I coiuld install Emby on it, it might make this POS worth something.

Ideally, I'd like to wipe the Matricom stuff and just have it load into Emby.  If someone could help me figure out how to get Emby on this thing, I would be eternally grateful!

If this is true:

The second big point to mention is that, because the G-Box Q runs on the Amlogic S802, it is stuck with Android 4.4.2 KitKat, and can’t be upgraded to Android 5.1 Lollipop.

Then you cannot put the TV app on it.

You may be able to get the mobile one to work but It will probably be spotty from a control standpoint.

maegibbons

Then you try and install the ATV app from the play store.

Krs

Mark

Dizzy49

It took some doing, the G-Box didn't want to load the Play Store.  But I finally got Android TV installed and it's working well so far.  I'm going to test it with a variety of files tonight.

clarkss12

I do not have the G-Box Q, but I have several other inexpensive Android boxes with the Amlogic SoC, and I run OpenELEC and LibreELEC on them.  If you have not tried them, you may be surprised, that it brings new life back into your box.  After you install LibreELEC, you can then install the Emby addon.  I am linking a YouTube video that should show you how to install LibreELEC, again, I don't have that box and that is not my video, but something to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuBQEGTpP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-L3gTNZXV4

Your LibreELEC install with be from a microSD card, and not internal memory, so your Android OS will not be touched.

Edited by clarkss12

Dizzy49

I don't like the Emby integration with Kodi.  I like Kodi's visual presentation, and Emby's visual presentation, but Emby on Kodi seems quite lacking.  The G-Box Q now loads into a launcher screen and I have Emby installed and it runs quite well :)  It'll be good enough until I replace it with a Shield TV or something :)

Edited by Dizzy49