DLNA security access

Fatcat_68

Fatcat_68

Hi I am using Emby since some months and I am very satisfied , I switched the emby system to use over the internet and avoid offline sync of my media and works fine, the only problem comes with some missing authentification , if I use the emby client we use a login password , different users can have different library etc... now if I use another DLNA client ( nPlayer or Infuse) connect to dlna is not a problem but is a open bar that's means the system is wide open on the internet , I try to do the NO-access user as default profile this block all even I use authentification in the DLNA setup of the tools.

Any idea how to correct that ?

Paul

anderbytes

If no special routing is made, DLNA traffic will never meet the Internet, because it is based on UPnP communications, via specific network protocol.

As of today, afaik, DLNA doesn't support authentication.

So you don't have to be afraid of Internet users seeing your DLNA, because today it is almost impossible. The only thing you have to worry about is users that are in your internal Network.

Fatcat_68

Thanks for the answer , what kind of protocol the emby client on the internet connect to the emby server at home ? Of course they ask for authentification for the profile and show the correspondant library, but on the same iPad if I use nPlayer set a destination as dlna server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8096 I get direct access to all of course in reading , if a create a profile no show and assign as default here nothing is show to nPlayer also the emby client see nothing .

Paul

Correct, DLNA doesn't require authentication because it's only used inside the local network.

also the emby client see nothing .

Paul

Can you please describe this in more detail? Thanks !

Fatcat_68

Yes of course,  just ot make it clear i openennd the port 8096 from the WAN to the internal Emby server, this works fine, when i use the Emby client they ask me witch user in login and they present me the corresponding library associated, now on the same IPAD i use nPlayer i set as DLNA server my WAN ip and the 8096 port and they give acces to all. if i create a no -access DLNA defautl user of course nPlayer don't see anything, the emby client yes, why willing to use nPlayer the loading time is much faster than the emby client for large files.

Paul