Considering Roku

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

I have been using Chromecast for years now.. but I have had so many problems with emby for Chromecast and now Chromecast is having problems with YouTube and sometimes Netflix, I am considering buying a roku. Just a couple questions first...

- Does emby for ruko require emby premium?

- Is it the updated look or is it still outdated?

- Anyone have any major problems all the time like I do with emby on my Chromecast?

- Any wonky bugs I should know about first?

- Is there a version that works better with emby?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925R6 using Tapatalk

Jdiesel

I believe the new beta is public and does not require Emby Premiere​, maybe someone else can confirm. The app has recently been redone and looks quite modern now. I think there are some screenshots floating around the forum somewhere. It works quite well with the expection of the odd Roku specific issue, as in not an Emby specific issue, like the current lipsync issue with DTS. I rather like the Roku ecosystem for Emby because it is simple and works. It won't direct play everything like Android TV will but does a good job with most popular formats. I personally like the Roku 3, and the Premiere+ models but all recent models do a good job.

Edited by Jdiesel

AxelAxel3

Screenshots looks great! Thanks! Can you control (pause/vol/play) roku from the android app?

Jdiesel

I believe you can, at least I see the option for it in my Android app. The Roku is hooked up to a TV in the other room so I didn't test it out. With the official Roku app you can also use it as a remote control or even use your phone's headphone port for wireless audio for night listening which is kind of cool.

With the official Roku app you can also use it as a remote control or even use your phone's headphone port for wireless audio for night listening which is kind of cool.

Just for clarification - you are referring to the "Official" Roku remote control app as in from Roku, not just our old app, correct?  Meaning, that will also work with our new beta.

Jdiesel

Just for clarification - you are referring to the "Official" Roku remote control app as in from Roku, not just our old app, correct? Meaning, that will also work with our new beta.

Yes the Roku app not the Emby app. It works with all apps on the Roku.

AxelAxel3

Yes the Roku app not the Emby app. It works with all apps on the Roku.

Okay, that answers my next question - did that work with emby. That was a feature I was very excited about.

Just to clarify, can someone verify that I don't need emby premiere to use roku? I plan on buying it eventually, but if I am going to replace all my Chromecasts with roku, I will already be sinking a lot of money in this project..

And does the live TV work in roku yet? Something else I will have to buy hardware for eventually..

Okay, that answers my next question - did that work with emby. That was a feature I was very excited about.

Just to clarify, can someone verify that I don't need emby premiere to use roku? I plan on buying it eventually, but if I am going to replace all my Chromecasts with roku, I will already be sinking a lot of money in this project..

No, unless...

And does the live TV work in roku yet? Something else I will have to buy hardware for eventually..

Yes it does but it requires Premiere :).

AxelAxel3

Ahh... That's for the clarification. I can live with that! Like I say, I plan on buying it eventually.. I have a HDHomeRun, but it's the older model, so it don't with emby very good, and I think the data throughput is too much for my network (100mbps) since everything went to digital HD, so I need the newer ones that does transcoding in the device for it all to work anyway. Right now I just want to get away from Chromecasts!

• 2 weeks later...
RobBurl13

So to clarify this in simple terms, using the "new" Emby (currently beta) for Roku will NOT require a premier subscription to use, as long as you are not using it for live TV???? I don't watch live TV via Emby Roku, I have the Spectrum app for that, only watch my personal movie collection on my Emby based media server, and I would like to continue doing so without a subscription. I am not made of money so a subscription is out of the question for me. I went with Emby because it had no real setup cost at the time I found it. since then I got married, had kids, and am now the only source of income for a family of 4. it was bad enough when the android app became a subscription required app; would hate to see the Roku version do the same.

RobBurl13

Yes, the Emby Roku app is still free at this time if you don't use Live TV.

Good to hear... although the "at this time" does make me wonder if it will one day eventually go to subscription in order to use... guess it will be back to the bland ole windows streaming via Roku's media streaming app if that ever happens... or, could leave the current app available for Roku as it is, and give the newer app a different name to distinguish it as a more premium app for Emby Roku... kind of like the way the windows based free app was made available for those that were happy with the way it was prior to the newer app that requires the subscription... :D :D :D :D :D :D (me begging for this)...

Edited by RobBurl13