Cover Art issue

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Suddenly tonight, Emby Server and Emby Theater (Windows 10) and Emby app (AppleTV) are not working. I'm at a loss.

Emby won't show images for anything in the movie library past about the 20th entry. It won't show Collections or TV at all: not just blank images, but nothing. It's emtpy. This is for Server (web view), Theater (Windows 10), and Emby App (AppleTV).

Theater (Win10) will play moviesthough movies play. Emby Theater won't show Collections or TV shows at all: the libraries show as empty. Emby App on Apple TV shows no images and can't play anything.

Metadata Manager in Server webview won't load. At all.

It was working, and now it's now.

I've rebooted my PC and restarted the Server, with no change.

I don't think I changed anything. I replaced four existing ISOs with MKVs in the library between when I saw things working normally and not working now.

I have in the past week reinstalled Server and rebuilt all the metadata for the Theater app. All the metadata and images for the libray itself was in the library folders and shouldn't have been re-downloaded.

I may try reinstalling Server (without deleting metadata).

Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

arrbee99

Might be the CoverArt thing again ? Remove CoverArt or try a different treatment.

If you haven't got CoverArt then I may just possibly be incorrect ....

• Like 1

ShoutingMan

I uninstalled / reinstalled Server. I got Collections back in webview, so no artwork. No TV at all in Theater. And Theater spontaneously locked up.

Might be the CoverArt thing again ? Remove CoverArt or try a different treatment.

If you haven't got CoverArt then I may just possibly be incorrect ....

I run CoverArt plug-in. I'll try reinstalling that. Thanks for the tip.

ShoutingMan

CoverArt is broken.

Uninstall CoverArt and everything is back to normal.

Reinstall CoverArt and things are broken.

Uninstall again and things are working again.

I hope this will be fixed. I've gotten to where I rely on CoverArt to know what's ISO (DVD or Blu) and what's MKV.

arrbee99

Have seen another thread (can't remember which one unfortunately), but not that long ago - think it said CoverArt should be OK if its not applied to Collections. Not sure how you tell it not to apply to Collections, but apparent its possible. Same thread mentioned trying different Coverart treatments.

Been going on (off and on) for a while and through several versions as far as I can tell. Presumably difficult to reproduce / fix.

• Like 1

yardameus

It's been a while since I had issues with CoverArt collections, but it was always if I had collections ignored or not.  Try putting ignore on collections and see if that "fixes" it for now.

ShoutingMan

Emby Server Version 3.2.7.0

CoverArt Plug-In 4.0.25.0

Windows 10 Home, Version 1607 Build 14393.953

@@ebr CoverArt breaks the display and ability to interact with the library in both Server and clients. This seems to coincide with the latest Windows 10 update, but I don't know for sure. CoverArt was working normally on Tuesday; I've made no changes to installation since then, besides Windows auto-installing its updates Friday night.

With CoverArt installed and running:

Web: Movies are missing

post-136972-0-33198400-1489932245_thumb.png

Web: Collections won't load

post-136972-0-55385600-1489932257_thumb.png

Web: TV doesn't show

post-136972-0-33586600-1489932262_thumb.png

Emby: Collections are missing

post-136972-0-37162400-1489932269_thumb.png

Emby: TV won't even load the basic library

post-136972-0-18972700-1489932276_thumb.png

CoverArt uninstalled, and Emby working normally

Web showing collections

post-136972-0-89924400-1489932695_thumb.png

Emby showing TV

post-136972-0-48306900-1489932710_thumb.png

Log File (This should be from when CoverArt is running)

Log.txt

Edited  by Luke

CoverArt processed exactly 1 image in the log you posted.

That leads me to think that it is possible that this could be some sort of hardware failure or disc corruption maybe with the area of the disc holding the cached treated images - but that's a wild guess at this point.

rubicon

@@ShoutingMan I can't thank you enough!

I was randomly browsing the forum today as I thought there was something wrong with EMBY and after deleting the coverart plugin, my problem was resolved

-had exactly the same issue with blank covers and movies didn't load at all-

I realized that in the passed, that this bloody plugin caused the same issue to me more than 10 times and every time I was restoring through backups, rebooted server, etc. and temporary I was able to solve it. Then I suppose after the plugin was updated (or the server) the issue came back. I didn't think so far removing this plugin completely.

To be honest with you, I have started having 7 plugins when I first used EMBY and now I am only using 2 (backups plugin -I hope that never breaks as its too important- and rotten tomatoes plugin)

The only reason I wanted the coverart plugin was the nice 3D writing on the cover of my films, as that was making it easier to separate them from non 3D movies. Oh well, no big deal though but it would help if that was a built in feature anyway (maybe something possible in future releases @@Luke ?)

Unfortunately plugins & EMBY have been proven -to me at least- a very bad combination if I wanted my server to run smoothly.

Naturally I still love EMBY for everything it does and offers to me as a media center solution, despite all the plugin compatibility issues.

• Like 2

dcook

Most of the plugins are more trouble then they are worth, and when you have issues, usually the first suggestion from the Dev's is to remove the plugins.

• Like 1

@@ShoutingMan I can't thank you enough!

I was randomly browsing the forum today as I thought there was something wrong with EMBY and after deleting the coverart plugin, my problem was resolved

-had exactly the same issue with blank covers and movies didn't load at all-

I realized that in the passed, that this bloody plugin caused the same issue to me more than 10 times and every time I was restoring through backups, rebooted server, etc. and temporary I was able to solve it. Then I suppose after the plugin was updated (or the server) the issue came back. I didn't think so far removing this plugin completely.

To be honest with you, I have started having 7 plugins when I first used EMBY and now I am only using 2 (backups plugin -I hope that never breaks as its too important- and rotten tomatoes plugin)

The only reason I wanted the coverart plugin was the nice 3D writing on the cover of my films, as that was making it easier to separate them from non 3D movies. Oh well, no big deal though but it would help if that was a built in feature anyway (maybe something possible in future releases @@Luke ?)

Unfortunately plugins & EMBY have been proven -to me at least- a very bad combination if I wanted my server to run smoothly.

Naturally I still love EMBY for everything it does and offers to me as a media center solution, despite all the plugin compatibility issues.

Can you please post a log with CA loaded and the problems you describe happening?  Thanks.

rubicon

@@ebr I really wouldn't prefer to re-install it as since I've deleted it, everything runs OK. Still, I can post a log when it was installed for you to see (which I am attaching)

My issues were identical as @@ShoutingMan 's who originally opened this thread. I haven't changed any settings on the plugin for months, only do updates to latest stable server versions & plugin versions.

Also adding new films from time to time but with standard specs that work perfect for my needs -I prefer direct play than transcoding, especially externally with my iPhone EMBY app-

Those are always: MP4 2000 to 2500 bitrate, High profile 4.1, AAC 5.1 audio and eternal srt subtitle.

I also use from time to time MKV files just for TV show episodes but I don't stream them across on my phone, I just view them locally on my TV app (Samsung TV) or PS4 browser.

Thanks,

George

log.txt

Edited by rubicon

Thanks.  At least that log contains plenty of CA operations.  Some of them are taking an inordinately long time but I cannot explain why right now.

PenkethBoy

@@ebr

Whats considered "slow"

and is the time dependant on the size of the original image that's get treatment?

@@ebr

Whats considered "slow"

and is the time dependant on the size of the original image that's get treatment?

Some of them are taking 1-2+ seconds and, yes, if they are stupidly huge (like a photo) then that could definitely have an impact.  That's one of the reasons we don't allow processing of backdrops.

PenkethBoy

thanks @@ebr thought that might be the case

i do see the odd treatment taking 2+ seconds - probably because i am creating posters and landscape images from photo's :)

Can i assume that once it has done the treatment it does not need to do it again (unless you do a fresh db install) - so its a one off issue?

Treatments are stored in the cache?

Are you going to update the ImageMagic version in the near future as its a long way behind the current release?

Any change that would change the way CoverArt treats the image will cause it to have to retreat it.  It really doesn't make sense to have art larger than can be reasonably be displayed on a screen.  Even if you have a 4k setup this should still be posters no bigger than about 1000px tall, no?

What is the resolution of the images in question?

PenkethBoy

varies as depends what images i find for the video that has no metadata source

it not an issue as its a one off treatment so if it takes a little longer when i add them not bothered

ShoutingMan

My coverart images are almost all 3000x2000 or smaller. They tend to be JPEG with filesizes around 300kB. CoverArt worked fine for a couple of months. The only thing that's changed I know of is the latest Win10 update.

Fearful of a drive failure, I did a check of playing the beginning of a few movies with missing cover art. They started up fine. And I've been adding new files to the same drives subsequenly without problem.

I did another check, and reinstalled CA. Same failure.

Edited by ShoutingMan
  • Like 1

ShoutingMan

One of the movie posters it's failing on is this one:

It's 1.23MB. CA handled this fine previously.

58d1c11ae650f_poster.jpg

yardameus

Has anyone checked ignoring Collections?  I know it doesn't solve the problem, but this has happened several times a while back.  Once collections was disabled, no issues.  An update or two later the issue would disappear.  I don't think any problem was uncovered, no logs seemed to show the issue.  Maybe it was hard drive related, but no issues for me in quite some time.