Is this a good build?

all4dom

In that case... Use the force, Luke.  :)

Please make it easy for Apprentice noobs to use QuickSync. 

Anyone out there who's willing to tell a noob how to enable QuickSync in Emby (edit the ffmpeg call profiles to use -hwaccel ???). 

It would be SO cool to use an i3 or i5 qith QuickSync, instead of an expensive i7 sweating and crying in pain. 

Jennice

mastrmind11

In that case... Use the force, Luke.  :)

Please make it easy for Apprentice noobs to use QuickSync. 

Anyone out there who's willing to tell a noob how to enable QuickSync in Emby (edit the ffmpeg call profiles to use -hwaccel ???). 

It would be SO cool to use an i3 or i5 qith QuickSync, instead of an expensive i7 sweating and crying in pain. 

Jennice

Enabling HW acceleration is a dropdown menu under the Transcoding section of the admin page.

Edited by mastrmind11

Hi mastrmind11,

I have seen the drop-down, but didn't see an QuickSync entry. I tried the nvidia entry (for my gtx 970) but that causes a severe stutter and [CPU-peak-load] pattern every few seconds. This makes my nivida useless for this purpose.

also, I understood from the user dcrdev, that the Emby-included ffmpeg doesn't support Quicksync?

Is is as simple as "just" downloading the most recent ffmpeg version from https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and installing to [some-location-where-Emby-finds-it]?

I'd prefer to use an i5 (or i3) using QuickSync and iGPU anyhow, so I don't miss the nvidia option desperately. More like a failed proof-of-concept for me so far. *g*

Jennice

Hi mastrmind11,

I have seen the drop-down, but didn't see an QuickSync entry. I tried the nvidia entry (for my gtx 970) but that causes a severe stutter and [CPU-peak-load] pattern every few seconds. This makes my nivida useless for this purpose.

also, I understood from the user dcrdev, that the Emby-included ffmpeg doesn't support Quicksync?

Is is as simple as "just" downloading the most recent ffmpeg version from https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and installing to [some-location-where-Emby-finds-it]?

I'd prefer to use an i5 (or i3) using QuickSync and iGPU anyhow, so I don't miss the nvidia option desperately. More like a failed proof-of-concept for me so far. *g*

Jennice

Yes I was referring to the inclusion of static ffmpeg builds in upcoming Emby versions, that's not to say that it's complicated enabling QuickSync now.

Install one of those builds, find out where the binary has been placed and then add it as a custom ffmpeg path in Emby. 

Then as mastrmind11 pointed out, you should be able to select QuickSync from the dropdown menu.

Guest asrequested

Hi dcrdev,

Thanks for posting. Do you know if it's planned to be included in Emby installer (standard), or how I would obtain such an ffmpeg build (and how to tell Emby to use QuickSync). Unfortunately, I'm too much amateur to build ffmpeg packages myself. I plan my build (when the plan is complete) to run Windows.

Jennice

It already is. I use the stock build and it works perfectly for encoding. There is an issue with decoding, but you can turn that off. You don't need to install a custom build. I've tested with the other builds, they have varying problems. The stock build works without issues. Edited by Doofus

Thanks for the advices everyone :)

I'm on Emby Version 3.2.30.0 for Windows.

For transcoding on-the-fly of 1080p or 1080i, will a new i3 be enough (using QuickSync) or do I still need an i5 for my server?

Viewer will be web-based on another device. The web viewer has issues with some of my TV streams (is reported), but I don't know if it also applies to other players. (different topic, I know...)

mastrmind11

For transcoding on-the-fly of 1080p or 1080i, will a new i3 be enough (using QuickSync) or do I still need an i5 for my server?

Viewer will be web-based on another device. The web viewer has issues with some of my TV streams (is reported), but I don't know if it also applies to other players. (different topic, I know...)

If you mean you'll only have a single client accessing your media, then yes the i3 is plenty. It'd be fine for a few more simultaneous clients as well.

Edited by mastrmind11

Guest asrequested

It should be. Which i3 do you have?

I don't have my Emby build yet.

The cheapest i5 isn't much more expensive than the fastest i3. What to select? :)

1st world problems, I know.... :P

My Emby pc would be from scratch...but it seems that some 1xx chipsets support the 7.gen CPUs as well?

Yes through a bios update -

Be very careful with this though - as you can't update the bios with an unsupported chip. I got stung by this when building my server, I had to rip the skylake chip out of my workstation, update the bios and then put both machines back together.

Guest asrequested

My Emby pc would be from scratch...but it seems that some 1xx chipsets support the 7.gen CPUs as well?

You'll need the Z270 of you want to use all the capabilities of the CPU. Also, you'll have to use windows 10, as it's the only OS that supports it. You could just go with a Gen 6 i5, but the gen 8 is due to come out, so looking to the future would be a good idea.

Interesting... I tried Emby with QuickSync on my i7 3770k (not overclocked, but with good cooler)

At 720p, 4mbit, the CPU load was around 45-65%.

Considering QS hardware assistance, it seems high to me. Is that because QS has become much more efficient with more recent CPUs that people make multiple transcodes with i3 or i5 CPUs?

According to Passmark, the i7 3770k is faster than an i5 7600, but genrally people talk about muh lower CPU usage....!?

Edited by Jennice

arrbee99

Is that gen 8 these Coffee lake things ? Was reading in another thread i3's are going from 2 cores too 4 and generally will be much improved. Might turn up this year. Need a Z370 motherboard ? Sound really tempting. Anyway, might be worth thinking about if you're not in a huge rush.

Jdiesel

I have used Intel CPUs for my last few builds but the recent motherboard socket changes and features being limited to the newest models only has really turned me off. Some competition from AMD is very much welcomed. 

Guest asrequested

Interesting... I tried Emby with QuickSync on my i7 3770k (not overclocked, but with good cooler)

At 720p, 4mbit, the CPU load was around 45-65%.

Considering QS hardware assistance, it seems high to me. Is that because QS has become much more efficient with more recent CPUs that people make multiple transcodes with i3 or i5 CPUs?

According to Passmark, the i7 3770k is faster than an i5 7600, but genrally people talk about muh lower CPU usage....!?

I have an i7 6700k in my server and an i7 7700k in my HTPC. The difference is significant. The CPU isn't much different, but the HD 630 with the Z270 is way ahead of the HD 530 with the Z170.

Thank you all for the suggestions and info.

I did stumble upon articles about 8.gen CPUs. Sounds tempting to wait. Desktop CPUs aren't due until 2018 I believe, and my geep fingers itch to get going... I need to think.

In the transcoding preferences, below HW encoding / decoding, there is an option to select mzx number of threads (default: auto). What is that doing?

Regards -

Jennice 

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that the upcoming 8.gen will require some chip on the motherboard, to convert from DP to HDMI 2.0. 

If this is true, don't take HDMI 2 for granted, but read the fine print about the motherboard specs.

Guest asrequested

I read somewhere that the upcoming 8.gen will require some chip on the motherboard, to convert from DP to HDMI 2.0.

If this is true, don't take HDMI 2 for granted, but read the fine print about the motherboard specs.

I presently use my display port. It has the same specs as HDMI 2.0

The ryzen 7 looks like a good chip for my budget.

However, I am used to Intel builds. Can anyone point me to a Motherboard to go with the Ryzen 7? I have good experiences with Asus and ASRock boards.

I have a Samsung SSD for the OS, and plan on WD red or blue for data.

PSU is expected to be Seasonic G series.

It's mainly MB and RAM (I can probably look up compatible RAM from MB manual).

Guest asrequested

The ryzen 7 looks like a good chip for my budget.

However, I am used to Intel builds. Can anyone point me to a Motherboard to go with the Ryzen 7? I have good experiences with Asus and ASRock boards.

I have a Samsung SSD for the OS, and plan on WD red or blue for data.

PSU is expected to be Seasonic G series.

It's mainly MB and RAM (I can probably look up compatible RAM from MB manual).

I use gigabyte, exclusively.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/AMD-Socket-AM4