Live TV Hardware (Canada)

dcook

dcook

I am looking to setup LiveTV and finding it difficult to find hardware that will work with Rogers Cable in Canada

If any other Emby uses in Canada have livetv setup working with Rogers or Bell can you let me know what hardware or software you are using to make it work?

I don't want to buy stuff and have it not work.

Jdiesel

I could be wrong but I don't believe there is an option for digital tv channels via a tuner in Canada as they are all encrypted. I think you are stuck with OTA channels. Maybe somebody else has gotten it working though.

Edited by Jdiesel

dcook

You are correct, you have to use a Set-top Box, but I have heard of ways to make it work connecting the HDMI out from the set-top box and a IR blaster to change the channel on the set-top box.

What I am not sure about is what hardware or software I would need to plug into the HDMI out from the set-top box, in order to make it into a m3u stream that Emby would accept?

I could be wrong but I don't believe there is an option for digital tv channels via a tuner in Canada as they are all encrypted. I think you are stuck with OTA channels. Maybe somebody else has gotten it working though.

Edited by dcook

dcook

No it would not be encrypted.

Would the hdmi signal coming out of the set top box not be encrypted with hdcp?

millsii

I have a similar situation with Foxtel in Australia. I use a HDMI modulator, which takes the HDMI output from the set top box and turns it into a digital HDTV channel that can then be tuned by all TVs in our house. Foxtel have a guide app that allows you to change channels, so don't need a separate IR blaster.

There is a slight delay of ~1 second that the modulator introduces. So I use a HDMI splitter, so the TV in the main living area has a direct HDMI cable connected into it. Otherwise, that slight delay when using the remote would become rather annoying.

dcook

@@millsii  Can you provide a link or more info on the type of HDMI modulator your using?

I have a similar situation with Foxtel in Australia. I use a HDMI modulator, which takes the HDMI output from the set top box and turns it into a digital HDTV channel that can then be tuned by all TVs in our house. Foxtel have a guide app that allows you to change channels, so don't need a separate IR blaster.

There is a slight delay of ~1 second that the modulator introduces. So I use a HDMI splitter, so the TV in the main living area has a direct HDMI cable connected into it. Otherwise, that slight delay when using the remote would become rather annoying.

millsii

The one we have is a Clear View HD1010: http://www.accessantennas.com.au/perth-discount/rf-distribution/modulators-digital/clearview-hd1010-hdmi-mpeg4-hd-rf-modulator-single-channel/

From looking previously on Aliexpress, it looks the same as the ones on there just under a different brand. I wouldn't be suprised if the same modulator exists in Canada just under a different brand name.

It looks like there is a newer version, HD1020 that has HDMI passthrough.