Recommend me a Android TV box

Swynol

Swynol

With the NowTV boxes becoming obsolete i thought i would try out an Android TV box. i want something cheap but that will run emby decently. I know the Nvidia shield and Mi TV are probably the most recommended but how about MXQ Pro? are they any good?

thatoneguy99

I know it's not Android TV but I have zero problems with my 3 FireTV boxes.

Sent from my phone!

Jdiesel

If you want to run the Emby Android TV app I would only recommend the Shield TV, Mii TV, or a FireTV. All the other android boxes don't run the real Android TV OS and are much better suited for running LibreELEC not Android. If you do go the LibreELEC route make sure you get an AMlogic s905 or s905x SOC.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

If you want to run the Emby Android TV app I would only recommend the Shield TV, Mii TV, or a FireTV. All the other android boxes don't run the real Android TV OS and are much better suited for running LibreELEC not Android. If you do go the LibreELEC route make sure you get an AMlogic s905 or s905x SOC.

Google Nexus Player is working fine too. My wife uses it. I upgraded to the Nvidia Shield.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Edited by BAlGaInTl

Yeah, if you can find one, a NP is a fantastic value.  They are still getting updated it appears too.

CBers

Yeah, if you can find one, a NP is a fantastic value. They are still getting updated it appears too.

I have one still and it's running Android 7.1.1.

Swynol

I have one still and it's running Android 7.1.1.

does it run android TV os? or normal android? they are fairly cheap compared to the shield and a bit cheaper than the xiaomi mi tv.

does it run android TV os? or normal android? they are fairly cheap compared to the shield and a bit cheaper than the xiaomi mi tv.

It is Google's original Android TV device so is usually running the most up-to-date version of Android TV.

However, they've been discontinued for a while now and are pretty scarce.  If you can find one, I'd pick it up.

CBers

Android TV.

Nowhere near as good as the Shield TV though.

But for the money, pretty good.

Dizzy49

Android TV.

Nowhere near as good as the Shield TV though.

But for the money, pretty good.

I'm looking to pick up 2-3 TV boxes.  Right now I'm looking at the Fire TV Box (not the stick), and the Shield TV.  All of our TVs are 1080p, and we will likely not own a 4K TV for a couple more years.

All but one of the boxes will just play to the TV for audio/video, we will have one connected to our Marantz A/V Receiver (it's actually replacing a HTPC running Kodi)

The Fire TV Box is $90, with the Shield TV at $200 (32GB) and $300 (500GB).

If I don't have 4K, and I'm not streaming games, is the Shield TV worth it?

Swynol

i'm planning on trying the cheapo chinese boxes in some rooms which dont get used often. then i think i will get the fire tv for the main rooms as it has a ethernet port. i want to try a google nexus but not having a ethernet port is putting me off.

MXQ pro - £20

nexus - £60

fire tv - £74

other options is either the newer rokus or a apple tv 4

CBers

I'm looking to pick up 2-3 TV boxes. Right now I'm looking at the Fire TV Box (not the stick), and the Shield TV. All of our TVs are 1080p, and we will likely not own a 4K TV for a couple more years.

All but one of the boxes will just play to the TV for audio/video, we will have one connected to our Marantz A/V Receiver (it's actually replacing a HTPC running Kodi)

The Fire TV Box is $90, with the Shield TV at $200 (32GB) and $300 (500GB).

If I don't have 4K, and I'm not streaming games, is the Shield TV worth it?

I understand your questions about the price difference, but if you can afford the Shields, then I'd choose them. I have 3 ;)

People used to suggest the Amazon devices if you were an Amazon Prime subscriber, but now the app is officially available on the Shield, that is a moot point.

The Shield has so much more functionality, that I believe it is better value.

So at the end of the day, it's all about if you can afford it :)

CBers

i'm planning on trying the cheapo chinese boxes in some rooms which dont get used often. then i think i will get the fire tv for the main rooms as it has a ethernet port. i want to try a google nexus but not having a ethernet port is putting me off.

MXQ pro - £20

nexus - £60

fire tv - £74

other options is either the newer rokus or a apple tv 4

You can buy a USB to Ethernet adapter to get a wired connection on the Nexus Player and you don't have to do any fiddling, it's just recognised.

memeka

Just want to let you know that the Odroid XU4 has an Android TV image available (Android TV, not Android) based on LineageOS (former CyanogenMod) Android 7.

The only thing missing from it (compared to shield tv) is support for DRM (so netflix Android TV app does not work, although you can sideload netflix Android app).

Edited by memeka

The only thing missing from it (compared to shield tv) is support for DRM 

Really?  So it is just as fast as the Shield and supports all the same codecs including HD Audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD)?

memeka

it's reasonably fast (4xA7 + 4xA15 HMP) - one of the fastest non-nvidia arm boards out there

gpu is pretty good >100Gflops (http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/) which is in the top of the boards

doesn't support H265

no idea about HD audio

but compared with "android tv boxes" that don't even run android tv .... it's faster, and can actually run android tv :)

Edited by memeka

• 2 weeks later...
chali

Wetek play 2 works prefect with emby tv and give you hd on Netflix. It have a tuner so you don't need to shift input on the tv to watch normal broadcast. Recommend getting a mele f10 to it to.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

memeka

Wetek play 2 works prefect with emby tv and give you hd on Netflix. It have a tuner so you don't need to shift input on the tv to watch normal broadcast. Recommend getting a mele f10 to it to.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Unfortunately it doesn't run Android TV, so you're using a wetek app to see broadcast.

I am testing right now an Android TV image for my device which includes tuner drivers. The TV and Channels app can see the tuner source, but it cannot scan because I use DVB-T (and the apps support ATSC). But running a TVHeadend server in android should be feasible, since the TVHeadend client is seen as a source for the TV and Channels apps, so it gives you the same experience.

Edited by memeka