Newest update maybe broke surround with subtitles?

gleep52

gleep52

@@ebr I'm not sure what happened, but whenever I turn on subtitles to a movie now, my nVidia Shield TV will only play PCM audio and not the real 7.1 or 5.1 surround anymore.  Even if I turn off the subtitles, the audio doesn't correct itself until I stop playback and resume (or exit app and restart app).  

This has been reproducible every time I try it with any movie so far.  All hardwired connections.  24-core Xeon server for Emby.  Not sure it's a limitation anywhere other than a bug in Emby at this point.  I'm not sure if the apps on the nVidia Shield auto update and it's a problem there, or if it's a bug with the new server version and how it transcodes .mkv files?  

gleep52

Thanks Luke!

I don't see an ffmpeg-transcode log file from that time period... but here's the log file (restarted service, replicated problem, restarted service again to crop the log file properly).

server-63625259545.txt

Sounds like it is direct streaming in VLC but I'm not sure what condition would cause that to happen.  Oh wait... PGS subs?

Can you please follow the instructions here and send a log from the app?  Thanks.

gleep52

Sounds like it is direct streaming in VLC but I'm not sure what condition would cause that to happen.  Oh wait... PGS subs?

Can you please follow the instructions here and send a log from the app?  Thanks.

They are the subs that are extracted with the MKV using makemkv.  Do I have to have VLC installed, because I don't have that installed on my Shield.  I'll send the logs in a bit.

gleep52

OK I just send the logs: 1:24pm CST - logged in as Erik.  Playing Doctor Strange and enabled subtitles, disabled subtitles, stopped playback and restarted playback to get sound back out of PCM mode.

Okay, my suspicion was correct.  BTW - this is a DTS-HD MA track.

Your subtitles are PGS (graphical) subs and the internal player that can bitstream DTS/DTS HD cannot display those right now.  So we switch over to VLC which can in order to avoid transcoding the item and burning in the subs (a very expensive operation on the server).

Unfortunately, VLC internally decodes your DTS track and outputs this as multi-channel PCM.  Theoretically the same thing, but not really in practice sometimes.

The best course of action for you is probably going to be to come up with some external, text-based subs for these items and then we will be able to direct play them, bitstream the DTS tracks and also display the subtitles efficiently.

gleep52

How can I find these external text-based subs you speak of? :)

It does the same thing with the audio track set to 5.1 as well - is that the same reason?  Why did this just start happening after the update?  Can we change it back? :)

Everything worked flawless until this latest update.  My server can handle the transcode just fine, and the PCM problem happens with the same movies that worked just fine before the update as well.  

We simply can't win on this one :).  Previously people were up in arms because the PGS subs caused a transcode.  Now other folks don't like that it affects their audio.

And before you suggest an option - almost no one would understand what it was for or how to properly use it so we just have to try to make the best decision for the most people.

The server has a feature where you can search for and download subtitles for your items.  Right click something or hit the "..." menu and select "Edit Subtitles".

gleep52

Well there are people like me, and the people who were up in arms who want the feature I guess.... :)  Perhaps misc users won't understand it, but I think the majority of users who are using emby/plex want the best audio and video and would appreciate the options.  At least the half dozen people who use Plex and Emby want the best audio and video... perhaps I just have picky friends though.  :/

I noticed in my settings pages I had the option enabled for "Skip if the video already contains embedded subtitles" so that's probably why external subs don't show up.  I've unticked that and will see what happens.

What do I need to do to force a refresh on downloading the subtitles to all my movies?  I've tried to refresh the metadata to my movies library, but it's not downloading any SRT files.  Only the one I did manually for Doctor Strange is showing up.  (BTW, it works fantastic with external subs).

Thanks again.

gleep52

So how can I force the subtitles to download for all movies?  Even unchecking the "Skip if the video already contains embedded subtitles" still won't rescan all my movies and download the .srt files... 

gleep52

I didn't realize it was a scheduled task - I just ran the task manually, it finished after 10 minutes and 17 seconds and looking at my file system, it didn't download anything :/  No SRT files at all except the two I manually downloaded.

Any ideas?

Do the options on the subtitle settings screen give an idea about why subtitles may or may not get downloaded for a particular title? Explore that, then if you think there is still an issue, please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

gleep52

Looking at the logs, I see a lot of this:

System.Exception: OpenSubtitles rate limit reached

only 200 per IP per hour is permitted with open subtitles.  I emailed them and asked for a temp leech access for a one time sync... Hopefully this will help someone else in the future who has the same issue.