The End of the NOW TV boxes

Swynol

radeon

I'd suggest any of you that have one and it's not yet upgraded should disconnect and wait for someone to work out what needs to be blocked to prevent it updating. Blocking a set of IP's/domains at router level will be the way forward. I'm away at the min but have one at home that's unplugged so when I'm back, I'll have a look at what it's doing and block the crap out of it.

Swynol

yes you can change the update server on the NowTV box or you can block it all together in the firewall.

i managed to block 2 of my boxes using a firewall to drop all packets before they go out to WAN. only issue is now i cant use any of the catchup channels, but i would much prefer to have emby still working. unfortunately one of my boxes managed to get the update.

also the NOW TV smart boxes for some reason you cant side load if it doesnt have an internet connection. luckily i already have blue neon side loaded but its an older version and now i cant update.

ye not bad. its a shame as you could buy 7 NowTV boxes for that price

You guys do realize the reason they were so cheap, right?

Sky was basically giving them to you because they expected to make it up through their service.

mikeraburn

The Amazon hardware method.

The one thing I did respect from Amazon was they were UPFRONT on that topic.

"These devices are cheap because we want your money for the content you are going to purchase from us to use."

You guys do realize the reason they were so cheap, right?

Sky was basically giving them to you because they expected to make it up through their service.

• 6 years later...
dannyboy1066
On 16/03/2017 at 08:49, Swynol said:

Well Sky have finally caught on. There recent forced update has removed developer mode and any apps side loaded....

This is such a shame as i have 3 of these boxes for emby which are now useless.

dannyboy1066
Just now, dannyboy1066 said:

Yeah thanks for the update.

It's cheap as chips so ne problem.

Amazon I'm sure will do the same very soon. How dare we!!