Not sure if this is for Premiere, or Linux but DVR setup issue with Emby and HDHomeRun

mlapoint

mlapoint

This is my setup:

Emby Server - Ubuntu 16.04

Data Storage - WD My Cloud 4TB NAS

TV Device for OTA stations - HDHomeRun Connect

Viewing Devices - Roku 2 and 2 Kodi OSMC boxes

The Emby Server works great for my stored movies over all of my viewing devices.  Now I am trying to get TV working properly through Emby.  I joined Premiere on a monthly basis until I can get this working.  I tried doing an HDHomeRun Setup and chose NAS Install and it gave me several choices with one being Emby.  So I chose Emby and then it said I needed to get SSH working.  I did that, then it says I need to make a share called "HDHomeRun"....

I have a HDHomeRun share on the NAS and it is shared with Ubuntu fine.  I can add and delete files just fine from Ubuntu.  I have tried to make it a shared directory and because my user isn't the owner (it is owned by root), Ubuntu won't let me.  So I thought I would set up a Samba share.  The caveat there is that I need to know the user-id that will be accessing the share (and maybe more user-ids).  Can someone please give me a little help on getting this all set up?  I do have sudo privileges on the Ubuntu machine so if anything like changing ownership and/or privileges are necessary, I can do that.  Just please let me know what all I need to change if that is the case. 

Thank You,

Mike LaPointe

Hi, what exactly said you need to make a share called HDHomerun? There is nothing in our setup process that requires that.

Ok, probably part of the HD Homerun setup where you chose Emby? I just hadn't heard of that before.

clarkss12

You definitely, need to run your HDHomeRun DVR on your NAS (if you have subscribed to their DVR for $60).  From that point forward, it is a piece of cake to setup the Emby server to use you tuners.  Make sure you only have ONE instance of the DVR server running.

mlapoint

Luke, it is in the HDHomeRun setup where I can choose Emby.

clarkss12, it is ok if I just put it on the WD My Cloud but I have 3 questions.

1)  Will I still need to spend the $60/year for HDHomeRun DVR to do the recording?

2)  Will I then need to pay $99 per full release of Premiere Emby?

3)  That is why I purchased Premiere, what else is Premiere good for if it won't take over for HDHomeRun DVR?

Thank You,

Mike

If you are using Emby as your DVR, you do not need the subscription from Silicon Dust.  You used to have to install their software just to get the proper firmware on your tuner but I'm not sure if that is necessary anymore either.