Can we get rid of "Because you watched..."?

hstamas

hstamas

Its so inaccurate its just a waste of screen real estate. I would much rather have a longer list of latest movies or a way to configure whats listed there. Same for TV.

A good example:

Because you watched "Disney's Tangled" we recommend "Shaun of the Dead".

Really?

• Like 7

It is going to be limited by the content you have in your library, as well as the amount of detail in your metadata.

dcook

I agree, can you make this optional, I think if you did a poll a large majority of us do not use or want the "suggestions"

If you can't remove them completely at least make them a optional setting we can turn off

• Like 2

Jdiesel

I actually like the suggestions, for movies at least, but I find they are random suggestions more often than not. I just posted a feature request to incorporate Trakt recommendations as I find they are actually quite good.

zigzagtshirt

My favorite so far:

Because you watched "Finding Dory" we recommend "Die Hard".

I have a library of 200+ movies, including at least 20 other animated movies.

• Like 1

dcook

I am a firm believer that Emby should be a core server product and all these features and add-ons should be optional or plugins

Imagine how much cleaner the interface would be and faster Emby would be if we could turn off all this stuff.  

And if you want suggestions then go ahead and leave it turned on, but all of this bells and whistles should have settings that we can optionally turn off if we choose.

Edited by dcook
  • Like 5

Happy2Play

So are you saying a all or none cofiguration from the server?  Or a config on every client to have them or not?

They can be removed in the web client via custom css, mentioned in several to topics.

hstamas

So are you saying a all or none cofiguration from the server?  Or a config on every client to have them or not?

They can be removed in the web client via custom css, mentioned in several to topics.

All or none works for me. I would think if you don't any one then your going to be ok with none.

• Like 1

dcook

The web does not help for Roku or other apps.

Happy2Play

The web does not help for Roku or other apps.

That is why requests need to be specific as there are options available to the web client.

dcook

The client can only display what the server has available and is offering.

To simply hide it on the client does not mean that the option is disabled, its still there, still using resources.

I am saying that all these "features" or "bells and whistles" you should be able to enable or disable them on the server.

The all the clients would simply need to check with the server to see if "suggestions" is enabled or disabled

That is why requests need to be specific as there are options available to the web client.

• Like 1

hstamas

@@Happy2Play would you be able to tell us how to do this specifically? I found one post talking about it and it has a few code examples but I wouldn't know where or how to apply this.

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play would you be able to tell us how to do this specifically? I found one post talking about it and it has a few code examples but I wouldn't know where or how to apply this.

All you do is enter the code into the custom css box. Dashboard-Settings-Branding-Custom css

Here is what I use, just copy and paste.

/*Hide Recommendations-Because you watched*/
.recommendations.homePageSection {display: none !important;}

/*Remove "More like this" section per movie"*/
#similarCollapsible {display: none !important;}
  • Like 1

hstamas

Cool! Thanks@ Happy2Play!

There's no way to make the remaining "Latest Movies" section scroll horizontally to make use of the space left by the deactivated sections is there?

Happy2Play

Those sections have a limit set in java script so if you edit them you have to do it with every server update.

hstamas

Those sections have a limit set in java script so if you edit them you have to do it with every server update.

Thanks for your help @@Happy2Play. I have a friend who is a web manager at a big online retail store and showed him what we were trying to accomplish and he was able to get the "Latest Movies" to fill the screen.

For anyone who's interested, here is the CSS (note that this is really only beneficial when your using a mobile device. A full web browser already fills the screen horizontally):

/*Hide Recommendations-Because you watched*/

.recommendations.homePageSection {display: none !important;}

/*Remove "More like this" section per movie"*/
#similarCollapsible {display: none !important;}

#recentlyAddedItems {
display: flex !important;
-webkit-box-orient: horizontal !important;
-webkit-box-direction: normal !important;
-webkit-flex-direction: row !important;
flex-direction: row !important;
-webkit-flex-wrap: wrap !important;
flex-wrap: wrap !important;
}

.overflowPortraitCard-scalable {
 width: 32vw  !important;
}
Edited by hstamas

As always, your custom css will apply to all devices and screen sizes so make sure to remove it before reporting any layout problems. Thanks !

Custom CSS isn't sticking. As soon as I save, the box goes blank. Any thoughts? Emby Server 3.2.4

Our first thought, of course, will be to update to the latest release :).

Diedrich

Our first thought, of course, will be to update to the latest release :).

I knew you were going to say that. *sigh*pouting   I'll update now.

Nope. No-joy. This is the correct place, right?

58cabf3cbad0e_2017031612_36_18Settings.p

Okay, my next suggestion will be to open a new topic in the server forum :).  Thanks.

Keep in mind also the "because you watched" section is at the bottom of the page, so you could just as easily not scroll down there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest topbanana

At least emby doesn't have Clippy the fcuking paper-clip bouncing up and down saying "It looks like you should watch xxxx...."!!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol: 

Remember, end users tend not to enjoy computers telling them what they are thinking or what they should do...  

Edited by topbanana

BAlGaInTl

My favorite so far:

Because you watched "Finding Dory" we recommend "Die Hard".

I have a library of 200+ movies, including at least 20 other animated movies. 

If you have Die Hard in your library, it should always be recommended.  Regardless of what you've watched.  :)

I would say it would be nice to have both an option to completely disable the feature on the server would be nice, but if enabled, there should be some control.

If enabled, I think it should be a per user config rather than per client.

The client can only display what the server has available and is offering.

To simply hide it on the client does not mean that the option is disabled, its still there, still using resources.

I am saying that all these "features" or "bells and whistles" you should be able to enable or disable them on the server.

The all the clients would simply need to check with the server to see if "suggestions" is enabled or disabled

Again, I think that maybe a user option rather than per client would be the way to go.  I don't like to see them, but my wife may love them.

Edited by BAlGaInTl
  • Like 1