Configuration for both DVD & Blu-ray help needed

barrettuk
Go to solution Solved by ronvp,

barrettuk
Still learning, need some help please…. I have rebuilt my server (HTPC) running Win7/32bit, this box is running the MB3 server as well as MBC and MBT (for playing around with) as its connected to my AVR & Projector. I am also using this server with clients on other devices for use on TV’s and tablets around the home, but the main use is for the home theater. I get better performance from using MBC and like the themes so that’s my main theater client. I have DVD and Blu-ray rips in my movie collection, I do not use this for TV or music. I would like to have the best PQ and as such would like to have the PC (connected via HDMI for video and sound) provide 1080/24Hz for Blu-ray and 480/60 for DVD just like if I was using the original disks, then my Oppo/AVR/Projector can do any upscale etc.

Please can someone tell me how to set this up with Mediabrowser, not sure if MBC and/or MBT has this configuration option or if I need some 3rd party software for this to work?? Right now my projector shows my blu-ray movies playing back at 1080/60 which I guess is the default of the Winodws desktop.

BTW – GREAT WORK on the MB3 release, I am telling everyone how cool your software is!!!

• Solution

The easy solution is to use a 3rd party player that provides automatic refresh rate switching.. Total Media Theater (TMT)  does a great job and will also handle 3D movies if you have those.. but is not free. There are other 3rd party players (free) such as VLC or MPC that have some of these features build in.

there are also refresh rate switchers that you can plug into media center, but I found those quirky at best..

My advice is go with TMT or if you want freeware go with MPC.. TMT is just really good and by far the best integrated with media center..the money is well spend... oh and also, make sure you use slysoft hdhomerun to prevent Cinavia from spoiling playback of ripped ISO's...

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd second the use of MPC-HC especially for individual movie files (mkv's, mp4's, etc.). It is what I use and it has a built in refresh rate switcher that works great.

I would also recommend individual files over folder rips just because it will work better with the mobile clients and the smaller clients like roku, chromecast, etc.

barrettuk

The easy solution is to use a 3rd party player that provides automatic refresh rate switching.. Total Media Theater (TMT)  does a great job and will also handle 3D movies if you have those.. but is not free. There are other 3rd party players (free) such as VLC or MPC that have some of these features build in.

there are also refresh rate switchers that you can plug into media center, but I found those quirky at best..

My advice is go with TMT or if you want freeware go with MPC.. TMT is just really good and by far the best integrated with media center..the money is well spend... oh and also, make sure you use slysoft hdhomerun to prevent Cinavia from spoiling playback of ripped ISO's...

Thank you both for the advice, I am going to give TMT a go, I looked quickly at MPC on my test rig but didn't see any easy button to check for those refresh rates. I was trying to stay away from the external player as I didn't want a clunky feel to the whole experience but will give it a go and hope for the best :-)

Can't wait till MBT is a little more mature so I can drop media center lol

Thanks again!

barrettuk

Just a quick follow up... didn't like TMT so have been playing with MPC BUT I would still rather just use the built in player to keep things simple. I changed the desktop to 24Hz refresh and the Bluray rips are so smooth now, I played some DVD titles and they look ok as well, am I missing something or will DVD rips play ok at 24Hz technically speaking??

AVTechMan

Most DVD's will not play well at 24Hz unless it has been authored that way. Pretty much all the Bluray discs are 24Hz so no issues there. Its best to let the DVD's play at the normal 60Hz.