emby server 3.2.5 (FreeNAS) randomly exits playback

OneHungryPoboy

OneHungryPoboy

Over the past few months at random during movie playback emby will exit playback and return to the movie selection screen with no on screen errors.  It usually does not happen until a decent length into the movie, i.e. 45 minutes +.  Sometimes it will happen once per viewing, other times more frequently.  I am running the latest version of the FreeNAS plugin, 3.2.5.

In the attached logs the playback error occurred at 2017-3-12 16:11:14,  snippet here.

Thanks

2017-03-12 16:11:14.5916 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.2.5.0
    Command line: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -ffmpeg /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffprobe -programdata /var/db/mediabrowser
    Operating system: Unix 10.3.0.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Mono: 4.4.2 (Stable 4.4.2.11/f72fe45 Mon Aug 22 04:48:30 UTC 2016)
    Processor count: 2
    Program data path: /var/db/mediabrowser
    Application directory: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server
    System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The socket has been shut down
     at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndSend (IAsyncResult result) <0x80b3b82f0 + 0x000b6> in <filename unknown>:0
     at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndWrite (IAsyncResult asyncResult) <0x80b3b7f40 + 0x00062> in <filename unknown>:0 

emby server log.txt

Ok, please try the latest version and provide a new log if the issue persists. Thanks !

OneHungryPoboy

@@Luke

The issue is still occurring after the update, here is another log from today. Looks like the playback stopped at 15:39:35

Edit: I will also mention I am watching movies in Chrome.

Thanks

Emby server log 2017-3-16.txt

Edited by OneHungryPoboy

well, it is direct playing so we are not touching the media file. I wonder if that file should be transcoding. If you drop in the in-app quality setting enough to make it transcode, how does that compare?

• 4 months later...
OneHungryPoboy

well, it is direct playing so we are not touching the media file. I wonder if that file should be transcoding. If you drop in the in-app quality setting enough to make it transcode, how does that compare?

I wanted to revisit this since the issue persists on the latest freenas (3.2.25) release and every release I have tried since the one posted.  It recently started crashing every single direct stream viewing of Moana, which had worked fine for ~2 months prior (step-daughter watched this at least once a day.)  Now direct streaming won't get 5 minutes in, and the high demand of the movie has elevated the issue in my household.

Allowing EMBY to transcode the file does play the movies all the way through.  This solution is not desirable for me though as I have already used Handbrake to re-encode and compress the movies to acceptable file sizes and video quality.  I assume Handbrake does a better job than real-time encoding and my server hardware is not the best for encoding while serving its other functions.

Other things I have tested to go along with this.

I installed the latest EMBY on my desktop and pointed it to the same network files and it crashes there as well.

every other media player and media server application I have tried plays (and direct streams) the files without issue.

Is there anything else that can be tested/tried?  Is it possible to log more detail?  I would love for this to work.  The issues appear to be movie specific but they don't affect other players.

Attached is the latest log. crash at 1:55:33

OneHungryPoboy

Hi, did you forget to attach the log? thanks.

Here are two more logs from today.  More troubleshooting from my end.  On Moana specifically, if I start the movie from the beginning it exits playback at roughly 2 minutes 27 seconds in, this is reproducible 100% as far as I can tell.  If I start and fast forward to ~1:50 in it will play through 2:26 without issue (tested twice), but I suspect will error out again later in the movie.  First log has enable debug logging on, second log has enable debug logging off, which seems to have more detail?

First log error at 12:15, second log, latest error at 12:35:37 (after restarting the plugin).

Thank you for helping.

EMBY log 8-2-2017.txt

EMBY log 8-2-2017 debug off.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OneHungryPoboy

Can you provide a sample video for testing? Thanks.

I will see what I can do, do you have a file size limit?

OneHungryPoboy

if you put it on something like dropbox then anything is fine.

I was able to clip it down to a ~3 minute file and preserve the issue. Interestingly, if I try to clip out the beginning of the movie so it was only a 30 second clip the issue did not persist.  This coincides with my earlier findings where if I skip ahead to the movie to a point prior to the issue it would play normally.  I thought it may be corruption in the file but the fact that it only occurs when playing from the beginning seems contradictory?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szxk9nurcw6h7o9/Moana%20clip.mkv?dl=0

Issue occurs around ~2:27

I do greatly appreciate you investigating this, I suggest testing on mute, I've seen the first 2:27 of this movie 50+ times at this point.  :wacko:

I was actually able to play this until the end. What if you open a new chrome tab and drag the video onto the browser tab. what happens then?

OneHungryPoboy

I was actually able to play this until the end. What if you open a new chrome tab and drag the video onto the browser tab. what happens then?

It worked in EMBY? I assume you are wanting me to play the video in a chrome tab.  Currently dragging the .MKV into a chrome tab is just downloading the file (copying it) to my downloads folder.

Edit:  Well now that is interesting.  I reanamed it to .mp4, and got it to play in chrome.  It stops playback at the 'glitch point' at 2:27, however the timestamp at the bottom says 2:50/2:50.  Here is the frame is stopped on and the actual last frame when played in VLC.

post-23480-0-80324300-1504029424_thumb.jpg

post-23480-0-09017600-1504029448_thumb.jpg

Edited by OneHungryPoboy

Yes it worked in Emby. Yes, sorry about that. Normally you can drag an mp4 right onto the chrome tab and it will play with the browser's stock video player. i just assumed it would do the same for mkv.

OneHungryPoboy

Yes it worked in Emby. Yes, sorry about that. Normally you can drag an mp4 right onto the chrome tab and it will play with the browser's stock video player. i just assumed it would do the same for mkv.

I opened the EMBY web app in Firefox and initially it appears that it plays fine in there.  Is this a Chrome issue?  Which browser did you test with?

But I'm sure this is the kind of issue that will vary per platform because Chrome is probably employing hardware acceleration in the video player.

OneHungryPoboy

But I'm sure this is the kind of issue that will vary per platform because Chrome is probably employing hardware acceleration in the video player.

Normal Chrome, hardware acceleration disabled, still crashes.  However, Chrome beta plays it fine as you said.  I am going to look into Chrome beta to see if its stable to use a default browser.

I just always have it because I like to test new developer features but i would think stable would be fine unless this particular beta has some kind of fix in it.

OneHungryPoboy

I just always have it because I like to test new developer features but i would think stable would be fine unless this particular beta has some kind of fix in it.

I would be curious if normal Chrome crashes for you as well.  I find it strange that Beta works, but I will take it!