Android app - some stream, some don't

jeffbhe

I have been trying for over a week now to get the Android app fully working.  I can connect just fine to the MBS either through LAN or 3G and I can stream Music just fine.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to get certain videos to stream.  The only type of file I have been able to stream thus far is mp4.  No luck with avi, mkv or a vob from a DVD backup.

I have seen some areas where it was suggested to turn off HLS Support.  I have tried that both on and off and still no luck.  The video will start with the buffering circle and then just go back to the previous screen.  On some occasions I can hear the very first segment of audio but just as quick as it starts, it stops...

Can someone point me to some other similar posts I should be looking at or throw out some things for me to try.  Everything works fine through MBT, MBC and the web...

Android MediaBrowser version 1.0.19

MBS Version 3.0.5147.28758

Win 7 SP1 64-bit

Redshirt

Do all the mp4's say stream copy or direct stream in the top right of the player window

I have something similar when using my Google Nexus 5. All my files are .mkv and some play perfectly whilst others have either a white screen or blocky video although sound is perfect. I thought perhaps it was down to the bit rate but looking at the files that do not play and those that do with Media Info I can't seem to see a pattern. 

Won't play properly:

noplay.jpg

Will play properly:

yesplay.jpg

Everything works fine if I go into MB3 using the browser on the Nexus and hitting 'Play' on any movie.

Any ideas?

Android device:  Motorola Droid X2

ROM:  CyanogenMod 10-20130113 jellybean 4.1.2

To start things cleanly, I rebooted my phone and now I cannot get any video to play...  When trying to play it goes to the buffer circle for about 5-10 seconds and then returns back to the previous screen.  After about 3 times of just trying to play again it goes into the infinite circle...

I'm not on my server machine so I'll have to wait until I get home to pull the logs off and post.  What specific logs would be most beneficial?

Redshirt

Server and client. Best to delete existing client logs and start fresh.

So tried streaming from Android again and here are the associated logs:

MBS:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62625380/server-63527587199.log and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62625380/ffmpeg-7b5a34f9-f591-4232-a325-92b66fe1e763.txt

Android client:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62625380/client-b785158c-a46c-4030-8062-7c8b03365ccf.txt

Like before, only a 1 second audio starts and then it goes back to the previous screen.  Happens whether on LAN wi-fi or 3G cell...

Redshirt

This is what I am seeing on some files:

screenshot_2014-02-08-19-00-048.jpg

This is the ffmpg server log for that incident: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8496016/ffmpeg-0a8a7f2f-a895-4c3d-9dea-865c12d390ae.txt

I'd like to see the client log for when you try to play that file. It's requesting a bitrate that's way to low to sustain decent video quality.

Redshirt

Definitely an Android client issue. It'll be resolved for next release.

Actually @@Heuer can you provide me a screenshot of the media info that is shown for that movie in the web interface. While it's an Android issue, I'd still like to narrow down why it's happening.

Edited by Redshirt

Redshirt

jeffbhe. I haven't forgotten about you. Just targeting the low hanging fruit first.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
jeffbhe

So I haven't been trouble shooting my issue for some time now... had other things going on...

Anyway, was reading through the forums today and noticed someone having external issues and someone suggested whether they were port forwarding 8945... DING!  Went and looked at my router and did not have the port forwarded, just 8096.  Set it up and went back to my Android and picked a movie and it started with audio only... so I thought about it and remembered something else in another post suggesting to disable HLS support... went to my settings and it was enabled, so I disabled and BANG!  Streaming to my Android now!

I have updated my MB Server (many times) and the Android client a couple of times since I last tried so maybe something within those updates as well but just wanted to share that my side is now working!  :D

MB Server is 3.0.5179.26037

MB Android is 1.0.26

Heuer

I am still having no success playing a lot of movies. Some play almost instantly, other have the fault mentioned above - white, blocky screen and unable to see anything. Sound OK. 

Heuer

Bump? Support please.

Only way I can get all movies to play is to set LAN/WiFi bit rate to 18 mb/s. Is that the correct work around or am I doing something wrong regarding transcoding? Currently set to 'auto'.

Redshirt

Well I have an idea or two, but I'd prefer to see more media info examples for working/failure as two doesn't let me see a pattern yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here,

AVI's won't play. No problems with mkv and mp4's

With Media Browser Classic no problems.

Edited by 1972