ESC key no longer works as "Back"

puithove

puithove

I use Flirc.TV devices to map my remote to keyboard commands.  I had previously mapped "Back" to the ESC key because using BackSpace gets you into a situation where in input dialogs, Backspace would want to only be Backspace to delete text instead of backing out of the dialog.

Now, very recently, ET has stopped responding to the ESC key at all.  Was this an intentional change?  Is there a reason not to have ESC work as "Back"?

• Like 1

puithove

FWIW, ESC is still working in the UWP version, though I haven't opened it in a while, so it might not have synced the web components yet.

ShoutingMan

I was confused by this too. I have to update my remote control's programming.

It's weird to have such an important ui change pushed out with no warning or notice to the user.

denz

I had to change the settings in pi to go back but it still has the same issue you keep getting the log in screen which gets annoying it should be made the only way to get to the log in screen is through the person icon.

denz

Thanks Luke for restoring but again it is the same issue pressing back takes me to the login screen which doesn't look right. I know I shouldn't be pressing it but neither should the log in screen appear because I wasn't in the log in screen before I got to the movies section. If I press back here it should A do nothing or B take me to the home screen which is live tv.

58c626e74e575_Capture61.jpg

The log in screen shouldn't appear when I press back from the above screen.

58c6272e5f746_Capture62.jpg

Edited by denz

denz

I can accept that if I was at home I assume home is Live Tv tab in my example but as you can see on the picture I was in movies tab. I still say the only way you should see that screen is when you click on the user icon not pressing some key.

denz

To take you to the screen that you were in before exactly what it does now when you are in a tv guide pressing back takes you to the live tv screen when you go to a detail screen pressing back takes you to the previous screen just I don't think it is correct that when you press it again to take you to the log in screen when you were never in the log in screen.

On my pi I think I was only once in the setting screen to set up language and that was months ago but because I keep pressing back key I keep getting the screen to go in settings very frequently which is frustrating to say the least.

In WMC if i am watching tv and press back it brings a overlay of main menu if i press guide it takes me to the guide press back takes me to live tv. If i am not watching tv and i click back all i get is a ding sound. That is proper behaviour as i said above when i am in movies main screen pressing back should do nothing and this is the same behaviour i would be expecting in the other tabs.

I am surprised that many users don't have this issue i only started to find it frustrating when i started to use emby more and more but thought it was a bug.

Edited by denz

puithove

I do throw a curse or two out when I by reflex hit "back" and it pops up that overlay.  When I started using ET, I saw it as just something I'd need to get used to - a behavior change on my part.  However, months later, I still find it occasionally frustrating.  So I'm with denz on this one.  I do think having it under the user icon is good.  If there is nothing on the stack to go "back" to, then back should do nothing - and this should always be on the home screen which is where you open the stack when you launch the app.

Latchmor

I guess why do hit back in the first place?

Yeah I was thinking the same. I guess this doesn't bother me as I'm used to using Emby for WMC and I know to not hammer back, back, back... or I'll end up at WMC menu which would be annoying. Just what you are used to I suppose.

denz

I guess why do hit back in the first place?

I can pose the same question why does the log menu appear pressing back as it is not consistent with what back does. To me it is a wrong implementation and pressing keys accidently should not bring that menu up.

Maybe the issue is just that we went "cheap" and re-used the same menu that you see when clicking the user icon in the top right.

I think if we had given it a slightly different look and with a title like "Confirm Exit" or something to that effect, then this probably would have never even come up.

ShoutingMan

To me, it's different from how most "devices" behave:

On an iPhone, pressing the Home button while on the home screen does nothing. It doesn't bring up the settings app or offer to power off the device

On a TiVo, pressing the TiVo button once at the basic menu either does nothing or toggles over to LiveTV. It doesn't bring up a menu to enter Sleep mode.

I don't know that I feel that it should be changed. But I'm still surprised when the overlay menu for settings / exit appears...and I frequently hit back too many times getting back to the top menu. But another exit button press drops back out of that menu.

To me, it's different from how most "devices" behave:

On an iPhone, pressing the Home button while on the home screen does nothing. It doesn't bring up the settings app or offer to power off the device

You're not pressing the Home button, you're pressing the back button. If you press the home button on the Emby Theater home screen, you will also find that it does nothing.

ShoutingMan

You're not pressing the Home button, you're pressing the back button. If you press the home button on the Emby Theater home screen, you will also find that it does nothing.

Going "back" to exit a Movie screen to the Movie Library, and from Movie Library to Home screen are frequent and normal actions by the user. Normal usage is to navigate within the "app" or "10-ft" interface to find and watch movies and shows. Up and down.

But going to Exit / Quit the app or to modify Settings: these are not regular activities. Ideally, Once Settings are configuring, they never need to be accessed again for an extended durations (weeks, months...). Ideally, the Emby Theater app is the interface to a device and hopefully can run stable and without being exited for days, weeks, months...

This is the mental model: normal navigation keys for going up and down Emby Theater's menu hierarchy shouldn't pop up the screen to Quit the app or modify Settings. It's not part of a normal, relaxing on the couch and watching TV flow.

That's where my head is at. I can accommodate the way it works. But I think it might be a subtle improvement to change the way "back" or "escape" works. Others might disagree. I'd be interested in how others view this or how you use the app and why you find the current model preferred.

After doing some searching...I'll try some of these other keys to see how they work. Maybe the Alt-b doesn't bring up the Quit/User/Settings screen? If so, that's a 30-second change to my remote control settings. :)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Keyboard-and-Remote-Support

• alt-left: navigate back
  • alt-b: navigate back
  • alt-right: navigate forward
  • page-up: scroll forward in list
  • page-down: scroll backward in list
  • end: scroll to end of list
  • home: return to app home screen

If you're on the home screen, then pressing back to exit is exactly what you would do to leave the app.

Spaceboy

I think this is a design choice and to me both ways are reasonable but consistency across OS is also important. Pressing back on the home screen exits the Emby app on android tv and I am happy with this. Others may have a confirmation, e.g. press back again or a confirm / cancel menu.

denz

I think it is a poor design choice you shouldn't be able to press any keys to get to the settings menu it should be like in win 10 you click on the person. I am running emby on my pi and I would never think of exiting the app or going into settings but pressing back accidently brings that menu up which is totally wrong why would you want to exit the app if it is so good. If you want to change users you can see clearly a person head and that immediately informs you that is where change of users.

Even using theatre in windows  haven't been in settings menu in months but I bring it up accidently by pressing back key. 

Guest asrequested

I still think there should be an exit button on UI instead of pressing back/esc. That would solve everything.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1