3d and Multiple versions of films

mattykellyuk
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

mattykellyuk

Hi

So i have just found out about Multiple versions of films being sorted into one folder and have done this for a test using a 3d version and a non 3d. The guidance I have seen here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming says that the system then chooses which version to play back. Is there not a way to force a 3d version to play as every device i try to play this on it choose the non 3d version. 

I would prefer a choice is asked for me before playing

Thanks

• Solution

A choice is something we'd like to add in a future update. thanks !

• Like 1

ShoutingMan

There are some threads on the topic, including one by me. The work-around is to create two different folders, like:

Pacific Rim (2013)

Pacific Rim (2013) [3D]

In each folder put the appropriate version.

Then create a collection of the two movies. If your settings are to hide movies when they're in a collection, then the collection provides the "choice" of which version to play and keeps your library looking tidy.

hstamas

There are some threads on the topic, including one by me. The work-around is to create two different folders, like:

Pacific Rim (2013)

Pacific Rim (2013) [3D]

In each folder put the appropriate version.

Then create a collection of the two movies. If your settings are to hide movies when they're in a collection, then the collection provides the "choice" of which version to play and keeps your library looking tidy.

@@ShoutingMan could you elaborate on this setting? Im not sure Ive ever seen that and I use your method to combine my 3D and regular versions of movies.

Edited by hstamas

mattykellyuk

@@ShoutingMan could you elaborate on this setting? Im not sure Ive ever seen that and I use your method to combine my 3D and regular versions of movies.

Thanks somone else did suggest this but a lot of my 3d films are in collections themselves, like Harry Potter for example, I guess this method wouldn't work for these films?

ShoutingMan

Server -> Library -> Display

Check "Group movies into collections"

post-136972-0-99170400-1489446025_thumb.png

ShoutingMan

Thanks somone else did suggest this but a lot of my 3d films are in collections themselves, like Harry Potter for example, I guess this method wouldn't work for these films?

I think you can have movies in multiple Collections. I'm not 100% sure since I'm sorting out a Collections problem of my own.

I think you can have movies in multiple Collections. I'm not 100% sure since I'm sorting out a Collections problem of my own.

Correct.  That is one of the reasons we moved away from defining collections with a physical structure in the file system.

• Like 1

mattykellyuk

Can anyone help me with the collections within collections. I can't get it to work. I create a big collection of harry potter films, tickbox the two instances of the same film, one 3d one not and create a collection for these. But this new collection is displayed alongside all the other collections not inside the harry potter collection.

Thanks

legallink

I think that is the intended behavior by the recommenders.  It is not a collection within a collection, but a separate collection.

ShoutingMan

Yes, that make sense. For example: I created a Collection for a Pixar film and it Short(s), such as "Inside Out" including shorts "Lava" and "Rileys First Date". I also have  "Pixar Shorts" collection with those mini-movies. I see both Collections in the Library so I can find the Shorts in multiple (sensible) locations. It wouldn't make sense for me to have the Pixar movie collection in the Shorts collection nor vice versa.

Can anyone help me with the collections within collections. I can't get it to work. I create a big collection of harry potter films, tickbox the two instances of the same film, one 3d one not and create a collection for these. But this new collection is displayed alongside all the other collections not inside the harry potter collection.

Thanks

So in your case you may want to add the 3D versions to the Harry Potter Collection, and not have a separate set of collections for 2D/3D selections.

Edited by ShoutingMan