Real Time Monitoring in Library

dcook

doonze

ext4 on a WD mybook. 

Mounted with:

# NFS mount from main server
192.168.0.111:/mnt/mybook/ /mnt/mybook/ nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

Exported by:

/mnt/mybook/ 192.168.0.112(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

Input? Ideas?

mastrmind11

ext4 on a WD mybook. 

Mounted with:

# NFS mount from main server
192.168.0.111:/mnt/mybook/ /mnt/mybook/ nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

Exported by:

/mnt/mybook/ 192.168.0.112(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

Input? Ideas?

Any reason you're using the 'sync' command when you mount?  Not only is it pretty uncommon, it's also off by default in the latest NFS client implementation (and really limits performance).  It might be causing an issue w/ the monitor since the io has to wait for the write to complete before returning to userland.  Since both of you in this thread have it enabled, and I don't (and the monitor works for me), I'd wager that the sync wait is the culprit.  

Edited by mastrmind11

chudak

@@Luke So for example:

http://myipaddress:8096/library/refresh?api_key=xxxxxxxxx

Says:

Unable to find the specified file

Can you give me the full URL to the file?

What was the answer to this question?

I am having the same issue:

http://EMBY:8096/emby/library/refresh&api_key=KEY/

emby:8096/emby/library/refresh&api_key=KEY/

Unable to find the specified file.

Edited by chudak

if you click the api link at the bottom of the server dashboard, you can then view all of the supported api urls and even test them out right there. this will allow you to compare what you are doing to what is supported. thanks.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

@@chudak

change your url to...

emby:8096/emby/library/refresh?api_key=key

i.e. ? instead of &

and no trailing /

• Like 1

chudak

if you click the api link at the bottom of the server dashboard, you can then view all of the supported api urls and even test them out right there. this will allow you to compare what you are doing to what is supported. thanks.

Ok Thx

I found the URL with API key via link on the bottom 

When I run it via curl I see  <h1>Length Required</h1>

In the browser I still get "Unable to find the specified file."

When I use Try it Out via swagger.emby.medi it seems to work.

What's wrong???

You can easily discover this on your own by comparing the requests you are sending to the requests that swagger is sending.

PenkethBoy

Ok Thx

I found the URL with API key via link on the bottom 

When I run it via curl I see  <h1>Length Required</h1>

In the browser I still get "Unable to find the specified file."

When I use Try it Out via swagger.emby.medi it seems to work.

What's wrong???

Post the full url you are trying

PenkethBoy

I dont use Curl - but i suspect you have the options incorrect

I just did it via Powershell to one of my servers and it works correctly with no error returning a statuscode of 204

$embyServerUrl = "http://192.168.1.56:8096"

$MediaUrl = $embyServerUrl + "/emby/Library/Refresh" + "?api_key=8f0d1250d8f64ca0b2d766d75002ddb5"

$TestResult = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $MediaUrl -Method Post

$TestResult
Edited by PenkethBoy

chudak

I dont use Curl - but i suspect you have the options incorrect

I just did it via Powershell to one of my servers and it works correctly with no error returning a statuscode of 204

$embyServerUrl = "http://192.168.1.56:8096"

$MediaUrl = $embyServerUrl + "/emby/Library/Refresh" + "?api_key=8f0d1250d8f64ca0b2d766d75002ddb5"

$TestResult = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $MediaUrl -Method Post

$TestResult

Tried that on Windows/powershell and it does work.  No love via curl/ubuntu

Happy2Play

Google foo gave me this

curl -X POST "http://localhost:8096/emby/Library/Refresh?api_key=YOUR KEY" -H  "Content-Length: 0"

chudak

Google foo gave me this

curl -X POST "http://localhost:8096/emby/Library/Refresh?api_key=YOUR KEY" -H  "Content-Length: 0"

That worked, thx!

Typo in api help ?

Any reason you're using the 'sync' command when you mount?  Not only is it pretty uncommon, it's also off by default in the latest NFS client implementation (and really limits performance).  It might be causing an issue w/ the monitor since the io has to wait for the write to complete before returning to userland.  Since both of you in this thread have it enabled, and I don't (and the monitor works for me), I'd wager that the sync wait is the culprit.  

Yeah, cause without sync if the server reboots (or you lose power) while writing a file, you'll have silent data corruption. async was the default until the latest version, but now sync is the default. Without sync on, when writing a huge file like video, if you lose power the client will THINK the file is ok and complete. I'd rather be safe than sorry since the performance hit is on writes, and with a media drive I'm more worried about reads anyway.

I did try async, but real time monitoring still didn't work. But I forgot to remount on the clients, I just did a exportfs -ra on the server. I'm not sure it would have picked up the change without a remount on the client as well. But I changed them all back so sync anyway. I'll live with not having real time monitoring to have sync. 

So I do have a "sorta" work around for this issue. It doesn't address the core issue, but mimics the desired behavior in my use case.  99.9% of my media comes from either couchpotato or Sonarr. Both have built in communication with Emby if you use the api keys. I did have this setup on my old server, but just last night got it all setup after the move to the new server. I now have all 3 running on the same server, so I should almost never have a situation where new media is added without Emby knowing as soon as it's added. In the .01% of outlying cases, I'll just ran a manual scan.

Just in case, I have a full library scan running every 24 hours. I did have it running every 15 mins, but the additional wear and tear on my spinner drive did nag at me. It's not the solution I want, but it's the solution I have and it works in my setup.

I only mention it so if others are facing similar issues, and are not aware of the api access emby allows in these apps (and others of course), they can look into this as a solution/workaround.

I'm planning in the next few weeks of swapping back to a true raid/NAS solution as I'm running out of storage. I'll report if my issues persist for trouble shooting reasons. Maybe someone will come along with and idea or solution.

Edited by doonze

• 2 weeks later...
horizonbrave

Is there a list of supported filesystems somewhere?

I'm also interested in this.

I guess it would be nice to have additional info displayed on emby UI but it that adds too much "noise" why not adding documentation/help links in the UI.. that for sure will save the forum from some noise (and admin work) ad help those keen in getting into official docs :)

PS this is a recurring question and a very useful and popular feature!

PPS I just realised that it's not that straight forward for a user to understand if the feature works or not... is it possible to create a script so that the UI tells the user if it's available or not?

Cheers!

mastrmind11

One thing I just thought of on this topic for those of you using ZFS w/ a non-working real time monitor... how are you initiating the nfs share?  Are you using the inbuilt zfs nfs sharing option?  Someone posted here that NFS doesn't support inotify.  That might be true in the stand alone implementation, but ZFS _does_ support inotify natively, so perhaps the inbuilt nfs implementation exposes the implementation?