Real Time Monitoring in Library

dcook

dcook

I have noticed that on my test Linux server the Real Time monitoring option in the library settings does not work.

It also says that it works only on supported file systems.

Where could I find a list of supported file systems?  

And does this only work with Windows File Systems not Linux?

Scheduled Library Scans work fine, so I know its not a permission or access issue.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

I have noticed that on my test Linux server the Real Time monitoring option in the library settings does not work.

It also says that it works only on supported file systems.

Where could I find a list of supported file systems?  

And does this only work with Windows File Systems not Linux?

Scheduled Library Scans work fine, so I know its not a permission or access issue.

It definitely works on Linux.  I have ext4 (Linux default) and zfs filesystems, and monitor works on both.

mastrmind11

should it work for NFS shares?

It does.  It's currently monitoring my libraries on zfs shared over nfs.

It does.  It's currently monitoring my libraries on zfs shared over nfs.

oh, i have ext4 shared over nfs and its not working, it did use to work with local drives but stopped as soon as i switched to nfs, guess i have done something wrong

kjp4756

should it work for NFS shares?

Depends on the OS of the nfs server.  Real time monitoring does not work when using a freebsd hosted nfs share or samba share.  I've tried using freenas for NFS to a linux server running emby and real time monitoring wouldn't work.

mastrmind11

oh, i have ext4 shared over nfs and its not working, it did use to work with local drives but stopped as soon as i switched to nfs, guess i have done something wrong

did you mount the share on you emby server?  it won't work if you just point emby to a library using nfs://x.x.x.x:/

did you mount the share on you emby server?  it won't work if you just point emby to a library using nfs://x.x.x.x:/

yep, mounted as /media/Video_Pool/ i have noticed that after moving a file there, on the emby server i will need to touch a file or do ls multiple times before it sees the new additions, so probably a NFS issues of mine rather then emby real time monitor?

mastrmind11

yep, mounted as /media/Video_Pool/ i have noticed that after moving a file there, on the emby server i will need to touch a file or do ls multiple times before it sees the new additions, so probably a NFS issues of mine rather then emby real time monitor?

yeah, it the monitor picks it up when you touch the file, then the monitor is working.  however, i don't believe it to be an instant update to you library.  i've had it take a min or 2 before it sees the new addition, so are you just not waiting long enough?

Edited by mastrmind11

yeah, it the monitor picks it up when you touch the file, then the monitor is working.  however, i don't believe it to be an instant update to you library.  i've had it take a min or 2 before it sees the new addition, so are you just not waiting long enough?

i meant if i touch a file its visible on the file system not emby, i usually just go in and touch test && rm test then doing ls will show the new files. I just added a new movie, which is now showing on emby server file system with ls, but has not been added to the library yet, been around 5 minutes or so 

mastrmind11

i meant if i touch a file its visible on the file system not emby, i usually just go in and touch test && rm test then doing ls will show the new files. I just added a new movie, which is now showing on emby server file system with ls, but has not been added to the library yet, been around 5 minutes or so 

that's odd and definitely seems NFS related.  i'd spend some time on google for that one.

that's odd and definitely seems NFS related.  i'd spend some time on google for that one.

KK I will fix my NFS issues then re look at the real time monitor, thanks for your time

thatoneguy99

What options do you have setup in /etc/exports for those shares?

Sent from my phone!

dcook

Is there a command line syntax I can run to start the Library Scan?  

I would like to put something in Cron so I can have it run exactly when I want.

no but you can send an http request to /library/refresh?api_key=xxx, where xxx = an api key you created in the server dashboard.

What options do you have setup in /etc/exports for those shares?

Sent from my phone!

rw,subtree_check,secure,sync,fsid=1

i only added "sync" yesterday, and today the monitor looks to have worked almost instantly, so looks like i just needed the sync option

EDIT: looks like i moved a movie over during a scheduled library scan, so will need to test again without that running :(

EDIT2: nearly 10 mins later it appears not to have picked up a new movie

EDIT3: touch test && rm test in the Movies folder prompted it to find the new movie

Edited by ax3l

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have the same problem (nfs shares hosted by OMV). Did you manage to solve it?

@@etique57, can you please describe the problem you are having? thanks.

etique57

Sorry, I meant I have the same problem as described in the above posts, meaning:

• nfs shares mounted in the emby host (in /mnt/Videos)
  • real time monitoring of these shares doesn't work (monitoring /mnt/Videos for instance)
  • touching a file in /mnt/Videos (from the emby host) is triggering the update 

NFS shares are exported with these options from OMV:

subtree_check,insecure,sync

And mounted with this line:

nas:/export/Videos      /mnt/Videos     nfs     defaults        0       0

I just noticed I'm using the "defaults" flag, maybe I need to choose other options?

• 2 months later...
doonze

I too have this issue on my new server. Does NFS and monitoring work for anyone???

My system: 

Host is a Debian 9.5 installation with a WD mybook connected to it by USB 3.0. The USB is mounted on this box and Emby has ran on this box for years with perfectly working monitoring. This is also the host box for my NFS share of said USB drive containing all my media.

New Emby server is a fresh install of Debian 9.5 with only Emby installed on it currently. It's a Dell Poweredge R710, way overkill I know for just Emby. I have the NFS mounted locally to the file system. Monitoring doesn't work. 

I had just assumed NFS wasn't a "supported" file system. But if there's a way to get it to work, I'm willing to put in the time to try and get it going. 

Ideas?

mastrmind11

I have a ZFS pool mounted via NFS on my box, works flawlessly.  What is your underlying filesystem?  NFS is not the problem, but there have been several cases where an oddball filesystem breaks the real time monitor.