Library Scan Under 1 Minute?

baggar11

baggar11

I'm new to Emby and threw up an install in an Ubuntu 16.04 container with 4 CPU's and 4GB of Ram. I went through the process of adding my movies and then tvshows, letting one complete prior to adding the other. Wow, that was long. Then defined specific metadata option like only pulling from tmdb and tvdb for movies and shows. I had heard that Fan Art was a problem, so it was disabled.

When I run a library scan, it takes 41 minutes. CPU on the container aren't being pegged. Ram, even after a couple scans, is sitting right around 1.5gb. I then tried adding in the straight Mono repo for Ubuntu and that brought me up to version 4.8. Then I tried emby-server-beta, none of which really did anything for scan time.

I'm used to Kodi scanning my library in 30-60 seconds, especially when a new show drops and I've got it all automated for extraction, placement and Kodi notification. Does anyone have the magic sauce to get Emby to scan in under a minute?

Right now, I've have Emby with read only access to the media files. I wouldn't think that would be a problem unless I chose to save artwork and metadata files along with the media, perhaps? What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

kjp4756

Having each movie in its own folder makes a huge difference in scan times.  When I had all of my movies in 1 folder, a scan would take 19 minutes.  I now have each movie in it's own folder and it takes under a minute to scan.  I have around 1200 movies.  

I'm also running emby in a ubuntu 16.04 container.

Movies are set up like this:

/media/Movies/Title (year)/Title (year).mp4|mkv|avi

I also have NFOs and art saved in each movie folder that emby downloaded.

TV shows are as follows:

/media/TV/Show name/Season 1/Show - S01E01.mp4

baggar11

Having each movie in its own folder makes a huge difference in scan times.  When I had all of my movies in 1 folder, a scan would take 19 minutes.  I now have each movie in it's own folder and it takes under a minute to scan.  I have around 1200 movies.  

I'm also running emby in a ubuntu 16.04 container.

Movies are set up like this:

/media/Movies/Title (year)/Title (year).mp4|mkv|avi

I also have NFOs and art saved in each movie folder that emby downloaded.

TV shows are as follows:

/media/TV/Show name/Season 1/Show - S01E01.mp4

Thanks, I may try to reorganize a small subset of my media and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by baggar11

baggar11

I ran through a test set of 144 movies that were all in the same directory. Over 7 minutes for the initial scan, then 33 seconds for a library scan. I used Tiny media Manager and put them in the suggested format of movies/[year]//* with all the artwork and nfo files saved along with the movie. Initial scan took about 5 minutes. Library update took 5 seconds. So definitely a large improvement. Just wanted to update my thread with more testing info.