Kids Mode - Feature Request

ServerGuy

ServerGuy

Not sure if this has been requested yet or not, I did a little searching before posting so forgive me if this has been requested already.

A nice feature to have would be something along the lines of a Kids Mode, some changes that i would forsee in this mode are:

• Simplified Playback (Instead of selecting the item then having to hit the play button just have it so when an item is selected it just plays.)
  • Simplified Menus (Instead of separating Movies and TV (yes i know if i change my libraries i could accomplish this) have it more along the lines of maybe Character selections (i.e. Mickey Mouse) without having to search
  • Move the Series and Movies selection to a main screen (i.e. Currently to browse for a movie you have to select the movie library then select the movies tab.) The option could be, if you wanted movies you can just hit movies, then all of your kids movies are displayed.
  • Infinite scroll (Self explanatory, but the ability to keep scrolling instead of having to hit pages would be helpful for this mode)

If anyone else has ideas for this mode feel free to add on. 

Thanks!

• Like 15

dcook

• Move the Series and Movies selection to a main screen (i.e. Currently to browse for a movie you have to select the movie library then select the movies tab.) The option could be, if you wanted movies you can just hit movies, then all of your kids movies are displayed.

This should be the default for all clients/users, there are too many clicks in order to play something.

Any UX designer will tell you that simpler is better

Yes I love the idea of a kids mode.

@@dcook, where do you think there are too many clicks? feedback is great, thanks !

dcook

Exactly what he said, Movies and Series should be 1st choices, not 2nd and 4th respectfully

Too many clicks is more specific to the new Roku interface, its much more cluttered and harder to navigate to start a show or movie, as there is so much you have to click through just to get to the play button.

Via web, its not too many clicks as I can just move the mouse over the other buttons and click on Movies and Series:

58bf0a4f9caff_Capture1.jpg

58bf0a5ae4349_Capture2.jpg

However with Roku you can't do that, you have to click through one level at a time, and I am sure its the same for other clients.

Yes I love the idea of a kids mode.

@@dcook, where do you think there are too many clicks? feedback is great, thanks !

Edited by dcook
  • Like 1

However with Roku you can't do that, you have to click through one level at a time, and I am sure its the same for other clients.

I addressed this in your other thread.  There will be options coming on Roku.

However, you have to also understand that the way you use the system may not be the way a lot of others do (some yes some no).  For a lot of people (myself included) the way it is setup now eliminates a ton of clicks or navigation because the things I want to get to 90% of the time are right up front instead of me having to enter and browse my library.

So, we are actually designing with your goal in mind.  It just doesn't happen to mesh with the particular way you use the system.  I think it does for a lot of people though and we look to provide alternatives for folks like you.

legallink

Love the idea of a kids mode. We use it on Netflix, would be awesome for our own library as well.

CBers

Not sure if this has been requested yet or not, I did a little searching before posting so forgive me if this has been requested already.

A nice feature to have would be something along the lines of a Kids Mode, some changes that i would forsee in this mode are:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18798-kids-mode-theme

It was a private thread. A concept I was working on but haven't been able to allocate as much time towards it as I would like.

Good day,

Yes that was some idea Luke have from sometimes, hope we see it applied someday.

My best

swhitmore

I think you're actually better with a separate app (like YouTube Kids, and ABC iView Kids) that is a dumb down version of Emby Theatre. My daughter is 3 and uses YouTube Kids (although I have to monitor it because some of the suggestions are weird). I've also made her a Emby profile with her Movies and TV shows, but I have to put the video on for her since she finds it a bit hard to navigate. 

If you're looking for ideas for an Emby Kids App, have a look at ABC iView Kids. This is a great app that my 3yo knows how to use. 

Some suggestions would be:

• Completely remove the details screen. Kids don't need it, so every video should just play off the thumbnail.
  • Remove backdrops and use 'kids' bright colours
  • No buttons apart from play/pause/skip anywhere on the app. Navigating needs to be done with swipes and tapping thumbnails of images.
  • Only 2 librarys, TV Shows and Movies. And an easy way to switch between them.
  • For TV, there should only be 2 views. One is the list of shows, the other is a list of episodes.
  • Maybe an offline mode for using in the car, but it would need to be PIN protected 
Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 2

Yea I've played with youtube kids and I like a lot as well.

What is hard for her with Theater? Let me guess - tab based navigation on the home screen as opposed to big images she can just click?

swhitmore

Yea I've played with youtube kids and I like a lot as well.

What is hard for her with Theater? Let me guess - tab based navigation on the home screen as opposed to big images she can just click?

Yeah pretty much. She can't figure out the tabs. Also the details screen is a big one. Because all the other apps just play when she clicks the image, she doesn't just press the PLAY button, but keeps trying to press the poster.

LiquidFX

This would be great for my daughter when shes a little older than 8 months, but it would be great for my mother in law who is staying with us right now since she shattered her ankle and cant start to rehab for another 6 months....imagine my happiness  :o  :angry:

ServerGuy

Totally agree on the YouTube kids example. My 3 year old uses the YouTube kids app and has no trouble navigating and viewing his own videos, but for him to try and use Emby, I have to do it for him.

Koleckai Silvestri

Where isn't there too many clicks?

No way to flatten series. If I have one season of episodes, then clicking on a series shouldn't make me click on a season to see those episodes. The apps should just list them.

No way to jump to movies starting with T in the new Roku app. The "By Letter" selection is the same as "All Movies" but with gaps in the display telling me I am in the R's even though I can read that on the screen. All Movies is at the bottom of the list.

No immediate way to remove an item from Resume or "On Deck". You have to visit the item, mark it watched and then mark it unwatched again. Then you probably have to refresh the screen to get it to disappear.

No way to access a complete Genre in Theater. I have 417 movies listed as Action. Theater shows me 8. I wish it just showed me a list of genres thumbnails and clicking on a thumbnail showed me the entire content of that genre. Netflix is very frustrating in its handling of this and you're mimicking that frustration.

No keyboard control. I can't type T in any app and go to my movies starting with T.

99% of the time, I can't click on a Library (i.e. TV, Movies, Collections) in Theater. I have to use the arrow keys to get to search then down arrow to get to the first library. Finally, I have to use left and right arrows to select one. Would be much easier to move my mouse and just click on a library.

No way to force an update in Theater. Just have to wait until the system gets around to it or do a complete reinstall. This involves external applications and downloads from this site which is just a pain in the rear every time you want to watch a movie or television show.

Each new release seems to make things more difficult to use. I am glad I use a mouse and keyboard on my computer to use Emby. Using a remote would be arduous.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

No keyboard control. I can't type T in any app and go to my movies starting with T.

This has been implemented so you'll have that soon.

swhitmore

Where isn't there too many clicks?

Interesting comments, but you have to remember, not everyone uses Emby the same. Personally, other than removing an item from resume, I don't have a single issue with anything else you listed. You're also probably best to move the discussion to the Emby Theatre thread so we can keep this topic on Kids.

Edited by swhitmore

Koleckai Silvestri

Interesting comments, but you have to remember, not everyone uses Emby the same. Personally, other than removing an item from resume, I don't have a single issue with anything else you listed. You're also probably best to move the discussion to the Emby Theatre thread so we can keep this topic on Kids.

Or just give up. These have been issues for years and the developer have no interest in fixing them providing options to so people can configure the system the way they want. 

If the moderators, want these comments in a different topic they have the tools to move them.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Yes it is, although some of your feedback is going to result in changes that won't require a kids mode.