Centralizing Meta Data

nagetech

nagetech

Mine is up 24/7 as well :) Just wanted to make sure I was doing everything possible to keep emby running as fast as possible :) What can I say, I'm a tweaking junkie!

Well everyone system is setup differently, it is all trial and error. :) My setup is on 24/7 so my optimization is going to be different then yours.   ​

dcook

How do you relink it if the Metadata is stored in the Media Library?

Scenario 1:

Metadata stored D:\Metadata\

Scenario 2:

Metadata stored with media X:\Library\

From a database perspective I don't see any difference, why should it matter which folder the metadata is stored in?

Why are you able to re-link the metadata stored in X:\Library  but not D:\Metadata ?

An how do you relink the information with a new database?

lorac

If you move your media w/ metadata emby will read it. If you don't have the metadata then it needs to fetch it again. I just find it easier to keep it with the media but it really doesn't matter that much. Perhaps in some situations it will be a lot faster to read it from an SSD before it is cached.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

How do you relink it if the Metadata is stored in the Media Library?

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

From a database perspective I don't see any difference, why should it matter which folder the metadata is stored in?

Why are you able to re-link the metadata stored in X:\Library  but not D:\Metadata ?

In the metatadata/library folder you have id folders and images, no metadata.  All metadata is written directly to the database.

With no database how do relink the ids without any information?  You can't so everything gets rebuilt.

dcook

So if you keep your Metadata in a custom location such as D:\Metadata your saying that if you rebuild Emby and set the Metadata to use the D:\Metadata folder Emby will use that Metadata instead of downloading all the Metadata again?

If that is the case, the major argument for keeping your Metadata with your Media Library is not valid since you don't need to download it again ?

If you move your media w/ metadata emby will read it. If you don't have the metadata then it needs to fetch it again. I just find it easier to keep it with the media but it really doesn't matter that much. Perhaps in some situations it will be a lot faster to read it from an SSD before it is cached.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Edited by dcook

CBers

Mine is up 24/7 as well :) Just wanted to make sure I was doing everything possible to keep emby running as fast as possible :) What can I say, I'm a tweaking junkie!

Store your metadata with your media and go and watch something :)

All comments are valid here, but it depends which way you want to go.

I store the metadata in my media folders and have never looked back.

• Like 1

dcook

If you chose to store your metadata with the media library the id folders and images would be stored there correct?

How is that any different?

You still need to rebuild the database

Again I don't see any difference in either scenario, either way you have to rebuild the database, why does it matter which directory your id folders and images are stored in?

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

In the metatadata/library folder you have id folders and images, no metadata.  All metadata is written directly to the database.

With no database how do relink the ids without any information?  You can't so everything gets rebuilt.

Happy2Play

If you chose to store your metadata with the media library the id folders and images would be stored there correct?

How is that any different?

You still need to rebuild the database

Again I don't see any difference in either scenario, either way you have to rebuild the database, why does it matter which directory your id folders and images are stored in?

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

If you store metadata with media you do not have to download images or nfo metadata ever again.

If you store them centrally then they are lost with every rebuild as metadata is stored directly to the "database" and a new install/rebuilt will not have that information and all the central metadata is no longer linked in the new database so it has to be replaced.

This is all a personal preference and may work better on your system but I know on mine it makes no difference so I store with media.

pir8radio

If you store metadata with media you do not have to download images or nfo metadata ever again.

If you store them centrally then they are lost with every rebuild as metadata is stored directly to the "database" and a new install/rebuilt will not have that information and all the central metadata is no longer linked in the new database so it has to be replaced.

This is all a personal preference and may work better on your system but I know on mine it makes no difference so I store with media.

Just curious, sorry to hop on your thred, but images and NFO aside, what is the metadata storage used for if all of that metadata info is stored directly in the database?  

Happy2Play

Just curious, sorry to hop on your thred, but images and NFO aside, what is the metadata storage used for if all of that metadata info is stored directly in the database?

It is used for Chapter images and if you don't choice "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" then media images also.

It also contains all your People, Additional Artists for Music, Genre, Studio images, Channels info.

Edited by Happy2Play

pir8radio

That makes sense. The reason I moved all of my cache, and metadata to an ssd is when I had a bunch of streams stressing my media drives it would almost cripple the GUI for any new users logging in, i assumed due to trying to pull those images from the already stressed drive. Moving it did help a lot.

Edited by pir8radio

I used to save image file to the file folders but it stoped doing it and i can not find the box that i checked before if it was moved can you tell where to Thanks

Happy2Play

I used to save image file to the file folders but it stoped doing it and i can not find the box that i checked before if it was moved can you tell where to Thanks

Per Library option now.  Dashboard-Library-click on each library