Emby for Samsung Tizen 1.0.21 Released

Luke

Good day,

I love the backdrop on the main 4k library, did not notice that before tho, waiting for the emby scan to finish to start testing.

Nice.

My best

Good day,

Same issue:

1 - Busy circle every now and then  

2 - Now the Arabic fonts, I notice it will only dispaly the line that have tag, like color, but with out the tag, all the rest of the line it will not display it.

My best

• Like 1

rbjtech

Is this version upgraded automatically ? I can't find a setting on the app which says which version I am running.  I also tried to install it from the Samsung store again to make sure I had the latest but it just fired up the app, no option to update.

Thanks,

The Samsung app store will update automatically, but I can't speak for how long it will take on your device.

gbone8106

Luke, Thanks for your work on this. Its looks like almost all of my 4K content direct plays now, along witht the h264(stereo high 4.1) content that I also had a problem with. Only had one 4K playback issue but it was most likely due to a TRUEHD Atmos track. Not sure if it in the works but audio transcode only we great in the future, thanks again.

omniusaspirer

This update introduced a pile of bugs and poor design on my KS8000.

1) Navigating to a music album and playing a song now brings me directly to the now playing screen. This makes listening to music much more painful as changing songs forces me to back out of a largely useless screen. Is it a limitation of Tizen that you can't simply show track progress overlayed onto the bottom of the screen like every other music player made in the last 30 years? If so, then at least don't force me to back out of a now playing screen for every single song change.

2) Related to the above change, the cursor now forgets where it was when you back out of an album after starting a song playing, returning me to the very beginning of my music instead of the artist I just backed out of.

3) Some TV shows when played either no longer work entirely (black screen + total app crash), or keep interface controls bound to the app itself, not the currently playing video. Meaning that you can't access any during video controls and instead are navigating menus that you aren't even shown in the background of the playing video. Nearly deleted media off my server due to this before realizing just how it was broken.

Navigating to a music album and playing a song now brings me directly to the now playing screen. This makes listening to music much more painful as changing songs forces me to back out of a largely useless screen. Is it a limitation of Tizen that you can't simply show track progress overlayed onto the bottom of the screen like every other music player made in the last 30 years? If so, then at least don't force me to back out of a now playing screen for every single song change.

This has been the feedback from the community, that when you start playing a song, you should be taken to the now playing screen.

As far as your 30 year comment, that is not really true at all, sorry. Look at Pandora for example, nice and simple. This is a TV app, there's not really much multi-tasking opportunity here.

Some TV shows when played either no longer work entirely (black screen + total app crash), or keep interface controls bound to the app itself, not the currently playing video. Meaning that you can't access any during video controls and instead are navigating menus that you aren't even shown in the background of the playing video. Nearly deleted media off my server due to this before realizing just how it was broken. 

Best thing to do is please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

Also I'm unable to reproduce the back/focus problem, but I will be doing more music testing and will be on the lookout for it. Thanks !

omniusaspirer

This has been the feedback from the community, that when you start playing a song, you should be taken to the now playing screen.

As far as your 30 year comment, that is not really true at all, sorry. Look at Pandora for example, nice and simple. This is a TV app, there's not really much multi-tasking opportunity here.

First off, I apologize for the snippiness. I'd just dealt with the near media deletion bug and was a bit miffed. Addressing the points at hand though:

Feedback from the community is great, but I really think this is a decision worth discussing further. Pandora is a fundamentally different concept and platform, with a simple forward (and like or dislike) option for perusing currently playing music) I simply don't have the ability to go back and browse different artists. Pandora effectively IS a now playing screen. Compare that to Emby where I might want to listen to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" and then listen to Ratatat "Loud Pipes". To do so without utilizing search, I'm using my Samsung smart remote to navigate to: 1) artists 2) specific artist 3) specific album 4) specific song 5) now playing 6) back to album 7) back to artist 8) back to Artists 9) to the next artist 10) to a specific album 11) to a specific song 12) now I'm back in Now Playing again needing to back alllll the way out to change the song. That's 12 button presses (not including browsing to artist) to play 2 songs, performed with a remote (albeit a great one). However it's actually much worse than that even currently, as when I back out of Rick Astley (far alphabetically to the right) it moves me back to the start of the alphabet with 2Pac instead of putting my cursor onto Rick Astley who I'd just hit back on from his specific artist page- forever away from Ratatat which I wanted to play next (literally 30+ remote button presses).

In that sequence, what purpose has the Now Playing screen served for me? It does look nice and I do like seeing song progress while it plays, but not at the expense of needing to back out of it every time I want to listen to a 3 minute song that's not next on a precreated list or that specific album. It's also a full scene switch which the TV does take a small but noticeable amount of time to render both going to and leaving. This is a serious usability downgrade from what you had before (which I agree was lacking in its own way). I haven't seen the feedback that led you to make this change, but it's worth asking why people asked for this change. Did they want to see song progress as it played? Have easy access to the "next/previous song" buttons? Simply know what song was playing at any given moment? Surely there's a better way to display this information to the user than loading an otherwise useless screen for every single song selection?

There's genuine value in being able to navigate to the next song while the current song plays without having to back out of the Now Playing screen every single time. Even if you want to stay the course (as I'm just one user), I'd really appreciate being able to adjust this behavior in Settings. I know it's considered a trademark of bad UIs to have a million config options, but I'm with Emby explicitly because it allows me more control than I would get from Plex or other competitors. The usability of the app for music playback is seriously degraded for me by this change.

I'll see about reporting the media playback issues in more detail (and through proper channels) over the next couple days. Life has me a bit busy at the moment but I would like to work with you as much as possible to resolve the issues I've had crop up with this update.

• Like 1

Nightreaver

I just installed the "latest" version from the store today and i was wondering about two things:

The TV Samsung KS8000 is capable of playing h265 material, but emby is trancoding it? (at least the internal player from USB can play MKV directly, just has some issues with subtitle/audio tracks)

The other thing is, there seem to be no option for "audio downmix on/off", so I dont really know if audio is transcoded or not - I dont want that because i am piping audio to AVR with will play audio then.

Someone who can clear things up for me?

And I cannot find the emby version-number (at least there is no about or version info under "settings" - which i would prefer)

Nightreaver

Hi @@Nightreaver, best thing to do is please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

Playing 1080p HDR movie from Tizen TV KS8000 (4K HDR) - get transcoded with lots of artifacts

(Samsung Smart TV - Emby Theater 2.01)

server-log http://pastebin.com/3n5Qh7mQ

transcode-log http://pastebin.com/qjySx9KJ

Server Version is: Version 3.2.7.0

cheers

Edited by Nightreaver

Playing 1080p HDR movie from Tizen TV KS8000 (4K HDR) - get transcoded with lots of artifacts

(Samsung Smart TV - Emby Theater 2.01)

server-log http://pastebin.com/3n5Qh7mQ

transcode-log http://pastebin.com/qjySx9KJ

Server Version is: Version 3.2.7.0

cheers

In this case the video is supported but the TV does not support the subtitle format. Since subtitles are selected they need to be burned in on the server with transcoding.

Nightreaver

In this case the video is supported but the TV does not support the subtitle format. Since subtitles are selected they need to be burned in on the server with transcoding.

So i have to lookup a subtitle format that is supported by the TV, or disable subtitle to actually get rid of the transcoding?

And what about audio? Downmixed or normal? as i have no option in the "player" to enable or disable

So i have to lookup a subtitle format that is supported by the TV, or disable subtitle to actually get rid of the transcoding?

Correct, you could use our open subtitle downloading feature to acquire text based subtitles such as SRT.

And what about audio? Downmixed or normal? as i have no option in the "player" to enable or disable

The app will stream copy original audio when possible. If audio conversion is required, it generally will retain the same number of channels as the source.

Nightreaver

Correct, you could use our open subtitle downloading feature to acquire text based subtitles such as SRT.

The app will stream copy original audio when possible. If audio conversion is required, it generally will retain the same number of channels as the source.

So, I've tested it, and you're actually right (of course :) )

I tried without subtitle, and then it's streaming "directly".

I tried SRT subtitle with seem to work for 1080p, but for 4K it crashed the player - i will try again with other subtitles, maybe was "broken" srt file.

I added all information for open subtitle support that included in emby and also picked some languages, but these don't seem to show up.

Is it because I chose "only subtitles with are perfect match" ? Is there a guide somewhere?