Emby WMC takes a long time to load

Keylonta
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Keylonta

It takes 30sec from the time I select Emby from the WMC UI, to when the Emby UI loads. That's 30sec of non-responsive WMC UI, then Emby loads.

Can't remember if it's always taken this long to load.

Server dashboard says:

MB-Classic 3.0.307.0.

Server Version 3.2.5.0

d00zah

Has he server IP changed recently? Check the advanced config 'tab' to see whether the connection is set to automatic, or to a defunct IP.

Yes this is the most likely cause. Our newer apps do a better job of making this process easier, but it is probably trying to connect to an obsolete server address, and so you have to wait for that to fail before you can proceed. You can check this in the advanced config tab as mentioned above.

Keylonta

In the Advanced tab I changed it from "Current Server..." to "Find Automatically" but when I restarted Emby WMC it still took just as long, and then when I checked the setting again it had gone back to "Current Server...".

Sometimes there is no load time at all, and other times the load time varies but the longest it could take is 30sec.

Try also ensuring that the option on the first config page is "Show Login screen" because selecting a specific user is, by default, also selecting a specific server.

Once you have done that and brought the program back up and logged in through the login screen, you should be able to re-configure it to whatever user you wish.

Keylonta

Try also ensuring that the option on the first config page is "Show Login screen"

I tried the "Show Profile Screen" log-in option. It speeds things up because I can log in with no delay, but when I set the log-in option back to "Log in Current User", I still have the delay issue.

Sometimes the WMC UI goes blank while Emy is loading, other times the WMC UI freezes while Emby loads. Sometimes I can log straight back in again, other times it takes variations of delay time up to 30sec. I can't find any pattern to the delay issue, it's totally random.

Edited by Keylonta

Sounds like potentially hardware delay.  Like sleeping drives or network interfaces.

Keylonta

Sounds like potentially hardware delay.  Like sleeping drives or network interfaces.

The Emby server is on my PC, and I tested my drives, made sure they were accessibly and not sleeping.

I think the long load times might be caused by my vpn.

How does Emby handle vpn's? Could the long load times be because Emby WMC is accessing the Emby Server through the vpn server?

Keylonta

It's definitely the VPN causing the long load times for Emby WMC.

If it is transparent to Emby, any ideas how it would be doing this?

pir8radio

It's definitely the VPN causing the long load times for Emby WMC.

If it is transparent to Emby, any ideas how it would be doing this?

How do you know "it's definitely the VPN"?    Is this your VPN or a vpn service?

Keylonta

It's a vpn service. The long load time only happens when I am connected to their server.

Does that mean I am connecting to the Emby server through the vpn server first?

Emby for WMC is on the same PC as the Emby server.

pir8radio

probably...   That's where I was headed...   or windows is trying the vpn path first timing out then trying another path, still need more info though.   

So you have an emby server on your LAN and the WMC client on the same LAN, the PC with the WMC client also has a vpn connected to the internet correct?  

WMC client uses what IP to connect to your emby server?

Keylonta

Both the Emby server and WMC client are installed on the same PC, I'm not connected to any external devices. Does that mean they're both on the same LAN? Does the WMC client communicate through my router to the web app? Sorry, I'm not sure about this stuff.

Yes, the vpn client is installed on the same PC, and is connected to the internet. When I use the client to connect to the vpn service (vpn server), this is when long load times happen when entering Emby WMC.

When I'm not connected to the vpn, Emby loads fine.

Is it safe to list the IP? I checked the IP address in the WMC client, and it is the same as the In-Home (LAN) IP listed on the server dashboard.

pir8radio

Both the Emby server and WMC client are installed on the same PC, I'm not connected to any external devices. Does that mean they're both on the same LAN? Does the WMC client communicate through my router to the web app? Sorry, I'm not sure about this stuff.

Yes, the vpn client is installed on the same PC, and is connected to the internet. When I use the client to connect to the vpn service (vpn server), this is when long load times happen when entering Emby WMC.

When I'm not connected to the vpn, Emby loads fine.

Is it safe to list the IP? I checked the IP address in the WMC client, and it is the same as the In-Home (LAN) IP listed on the server dashboard.

Yea you dont have to list the ip if its installed on the same pc as emby server.   What happens when you manually use 127.0.0.1 as the server ip in WMC with the VPN connected?   

Keylonta

In the WMC client I entered the User Menu, and selected "Switch Server", then used the Manual Login option for both 127.0.0.1 and localhost, both logged in fine, with no issues. Is that how you wanted me to do it?

Yes exactly because that will bypass the VPN. If you use an address that has to be routed through the VPN it is no wonder you are going to see degraded performance.

pir8radio

In the WMC client I entered the User Menu, and selected "Switch Server", then used the Manual Login option for both 127.0.0.1 and localhost, both logged in fine, with no issues. Is that how you wanted me to do it?

So you found the problem, now you have to see if your VPN has an option to "Bypass VPN for local networks" or something similar.  What vpn client are you using?    Or leave it how it is with the manually entered address (which wont hurt anything).

Edited by pir8radio

Keylonta

Yes exactly because that will bypass the VPN. If you use an address that has to be routed through the VPN it is no wonder you are going to see degraded performance.

So you found the problem

The reason I asked if that was how you wanted me to manually enter the server IP, is because the Emby client has already loaded. For example, in the configuration settings, if I change the log in behavior from "Log in Current User", to "Show Profile Screen", the long load time still happens, it happens before the "Please Select a User Profile" screen appears; and doesn't the WMC client log on when I select my profile? Which would mean that logging on is not the problem.

I'll try find out if my VPN service has an option to bypass VPN for local networks, their local server is not that far away from where I live so I don't understand why it would take up to 30secs to load the WMC client, if it is being routed through the VPN, it's high speed.

Or leave it how it is with the manually entered address (which wont hurt anything).

The issue still happens.

Keylonta

Post 2: "Has the server IP changed recently? Check the advanced config 'tab' to see whether the connection is set to automatic, or to a defunct IP."

I didn't do this correctly, I went to the General tab, and changed the "Log In | Start Up Behaviour". I should have gone to the Advanced tab and changed the "Server | Connection" setting to "Find Automatically".

After doing this correctly it does fix the issue (meaning I can restart WMC and launch Emby for WMC fine), but:

1) After a few times restarting WMC, the issue starts again when launching Emby for WMC.

2) As soon as I enter the Config Menu, the issue starts again. And the "Server | Connection" setting has been changed back to "Current Server (......................), and is no longer set to "Find Automatically".

If you set the option to log in to a specific user then that implies that you also want to connect to a particular server.  So, that setting will get changed if you set the option to log in as a particular user.

I think, for your system to work well, you are going to have to find a way to bypass your VPN at the network level.

Keylonta

I'll see if there is a way to bypass vpn at the network level.

It would be good if Emby WMC kept the "Find Automatically" setting; but it defaults back to "Current Server...".

There is clearly something causing this. When "Find Automatically" has been set, it works fine for a few times, then it takes ages to load, then it works fine, then it takes ages to load a few times, then it works fine...

Anyway, thanks for the support trying to resolve this.