SSD install

dredd1963

dredd1963

Hi all

Am intending installing a SSD drive for my OS this year.

Am looking for any advice on best way too get the best out of my install/ OS/ Emby server software.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

dredd1963

That's good news Luke Is there any fine tuning in general that could be done, would stuff like caches/transcoding be better off left on the SSD or moved to another drive?

Heya!

Yes, keep everything job intensive on the SSD, all the rest move to a less important disk (HDD).

My transcoding happens on 2 SSD's to get the fastest read/write for content.

Here are my Paths:

Cache:
SSD

Logs:
HDD

Metadata:
HDD

Transcoding temporary files:
SSD

To be honest, everything is on SSD's for me, but it took a while to set it all up (buying multiple extra's to make it happen, so investment is needed)

• Like 1

dredd1963

Thanks 2 were was the way I ultimate way I was thinking of going.

Guest asrequested

SSDs are always good to improve performance. My OS is on a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 and I just added another Crucial M.2 SSD to use a transcode drive. I have convert on the fly enabled in the server. All my recorded tv is transcoded, so there's quite a lot of transcoding happening, and I wanted to take that load off the OS drive. It works very well. I also have drive pooling and have added SSDs to one of the pools for a cache.

tyr_88

Heya!

Yes, keep everything job intensive on the SSD, all the rest move to a less important disk (HDD).

My transcoding happens on 2 SSD's to get the fastest read/write for content.

Here are my Paths:

Cache:

SSD

Logs:

HDD

Metadata:

HDD

Transcoding temporary files:

SSD

To be honest, everything is on SSD's for me, but it took a while to set it all up (buying multiple extra's to make it happen, so investment is needed)

Same setup and on main PC workstation as a media server to and just chews it up barely noticeable if any.

My HDDs are WD Blacks anywhere from base 150 to 300 read/write

I am using a simple since build Kingston V300 120GB SSD I got for $45 and despite any neg reviews I can this is one amazing SSD line for the price since moving to Windows 10 I have seen 85+% transfer burst rate over 1,400mbps   yup 1.4gbps this only sporadically occurs and never happened pre-win10

tyr_88

Hi

Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't support m.s sdd am afraid

If you go with a M2 drive take note you will lose 2 SATA ports

Guest asrequested

If you go with a M2 drive take note you will lose 2 SATA ports

2? My NVMe M.2 doesn't use any SATA ports and my Crucial M.2 uses one SATA port. How are you losing 2 ports with one M.2 drive? You may need a better motherboard.

tyr_88

2? My NVMe M.2 doesn't use any SATA ports and my Crucial M.2 uses one SATA port. How are you losing 2 ports with one M.2 drive? You may need a better motherboard.

I use the best boards around EVGA for desktop builds but on some you will drop 2 sata post unless you are on up to date 270 platforms some z170 platforms will not loose 2 sata.

Not on all not on ever make comment was suppose say you can lose up to 2

It's not not a secret and they are not crappy boards and info is pretty easy to pull up for PCIe boards

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lose+2+sata+ports+with+m2+drive

Best to learn your boards first

Guest asrequested

Well, I have two on one board and only one sata port is used. I guess gigabyte boards are the way to go.

Edited by Doofus

tyr_88

Well, I have two on one board and only one sata port is used. I guess gigabyte boards are the way to go.

I guess you should research boards more lol

New 270 platform take 0 on dual M2s

Depends on if new mid makes, of later when they were introduced on the boards

Then you need consider the factor of SLI - TRi SLI- or Quad

Also made correction you can lose up to 2 SATA ports on certain boards even you say you one lost so it's a model, release compatibility thing when it comes to this like I said know your boards. M2 introduction to mid tech to fully integrated now on top line boards run dual M2s without any port loss

Edited by tyr_88

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I'm actually about to upgrade to a Z270 board. Both of my present boards are Z170. Do NVMe M.2s not apply to this? Because mine doesn't use a sata port.

PenkethBoy

Its down to the pcie lanes that the cpu supports

new cpu's have higher numbers - older/cheaper one's unsurprisingly less

so m/b manufactures have to make choices - and you get better options on high end boards

so losing two sata ports to be able to run a M.2 drive - is down to the cpu (type and version) and the m/b level (cost and age)

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Like 1

tyr_88

Its down to the pcie lanes that the cpu supports

new cpu's have higher numbers - older/cheaper one's unsurprisingly less

so m/b manufactures have to make choices - and you get better options on high end boards

so losing two sata ports to be able to run a M.2 drive - is down to the cpu (type and version) and the m/b level (cost and age)

Why I rephrased you can lose up 2 ports meaning on some.

I run Z170 platform on a EVGA FTW board then came then babylakes

Basically all mentioned above CPU vs low grade edition of a board to higher grade but I'm sure the 270 platforms will have this fixed not read up much on them just eye candy makes me want to build again

tyr_88

Ah right! Of course.

It also depends on the drives as well if you really wanna dig into the brands / models

This occurred across all lines some drives would cause 0 loss and some I have seen took out x2 sata ports + E-sata

just first couple in results

https://www.google.com/search?q=losing+sata+ports+with+m2+drive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3102091/asus-z170-pro-gaming-port-disables-sata-port.html

Edited by tyr_88

PenkethBoy

the drive does not affect the number of ports available

its if they share the pci-e lanes between the m.2 port and sata ports in the m/b design - i.e. you can only use one not both - which is what they are talking about in your second link :)

tyr_88

the drive does not affect the number of ports available

its if they share the pci-e lanes between the m.2 port and sata ports in the m/b design - i.e. you can only use one not both - which is what they are talking about in your second link :)

awesome to know still earlier boards ate up sata ports and it depended on the make and manufacturer of the board/drives when the tech for m.2 was finally released but it's like kicking a dead horse or debating a concrete wall here everyones 100% right

• 2 months later...
dredd1963

***UPDATE***

Brought two Scandisk SDD PLUS 120gb drives in the end.

One for my Dell Inspiron - server

One for my Dell Optiplex 740 - htpc

I thought that the Optiplex would give me problems, as this as for some people I have read on the the internet, but I set the pc back to its defaults before installing the see and did not have any of the reported issues that I had read about.

All in all I am so far happy with the install.