.srt subtitles not showing. Tested in kodi and philips tv (both from dlna)

asimov-solensan

asimov-solensan

Hello,

I never used a dlna server before but since I installed a freenas at home it seemed that emby would cover all my streming needs.

No problem with regular videos, but I have got many shows and films with srt subtitles that work when opened from cifs. Same filename and the player just opens the subtitle. Same if i load them on a tv from usb.

When using dlna on the other hand it's as there weren't any subtitles and after fiddling with emby options still can't know what I'm doing wrong.

By the way I'm running emby 3.2.1 as a freenas plugin.

Hi, I think 3.2.5 should be available for the freenas plugin. Can you update and then if there's still an issue we'll dive into it? Thanks !

asimov-solensan

That was fast. Thanks for your interest. You were right there was an update avilable.

Stillno luck. Same behaviour, even on kodi the option to enable subtitles is not available. Also made another test with a file that has multiple languages and subtitles integrated. This ona worked flawless in kodi and i TV. The problem seems to affect only when a srt file is needed.

asimov-solensan

Tested the app in my android tablet and srt subtitles worked. That's the same tablet I'm using to test DLNA.

I think the issue is there are multiple ways to present subtitles in didl xml and I'm not really sure what Kodi is expecting. I haven't tried it personally up to this point. I have many test devices such as LG's, Samsungs, etc, where the subtitles work as expected.

asimov-solensan

But the problem is not only kodi but also my tv. Do yo suggest any other clients to try dlna? Thanks for your interest anyhow.

asimov-solensan

The model in particular is this one: Philips 49PUH6101. When using a USB stick subtitles just work.

But if you think is a problem with the client can you please tell me one that works for sure with emby.

Samsung, LG, Sony's we have tested personally. I have not personally tested from a Philips device. It's not necessarily a Philips client problem, it's possible there are some factors that we're just not aware of at this point.

asimov-solensan

I guess that none of my devices is compatible with subtitles. Tested with serviio and the burn-in subtitles options worked.

Will emby include this option at some point?

We support that. What you could do is edit the kodi dlna profile, and expand subtitle settings and remove all the subtitle formats by clicking the trash can icon on the right side of the list. In the latest release that icon is currently invisible for some reason, which I will fix, but it is still there and clickable. 

Then save it. With all the subtitle formats removed the server will then burn them in.

asimov-solensan

That's grat. I must try but just noticed that with last update in the freenas plugin the web interface broke. Now I just got a black screen.

Will try to clean install and see if works.

asimov-solensan

Well, tried installing again the plugin and can confirm that web interface isn't working.

Something is broken in version 3.2.7 for freenas.

asimov-solensan

Can't explain what happened I just got a black screen when accessing the web, so the server was working but there wasn't any interface. But seems that was something wrong with the network, I was working through a ssh tunnel while on the train. Let's forget about that, my apologize.

Ok, up to this point you may think that I'm a f***ing retarded but the truth is that I worked with linux systems for more than ten years. Now I'm testing a few things at the same time (dlna servers, freeBSD/freeNAS, jails, ...) and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

So I have got a clean emby plugin installation, just added a media folder to test.

Right now the situation i:

Subtitles work in kodi, but they are not burn in, I can enable and disable them at any time. I don't care about kodi my main concern is the TV.

Now, on the TV, as expected doesn't load any subtitle.

You said that emby supports burn-in subtitles but I can't see the option anywhere. It's enabled automatically? Or is there an option I'm unable to find?

Thanks again for your time.

For burn in you don't need to do anything other than making sure the subtitles are selected. For whatever Emby user is playing the content you will want to review their subtitle preferences by clicking the user icon in the top right -> playback settings.