Bug? "Group Movies into Collections" no longer working as it did

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Movies are no longer being shown solely within their collections. I'm seeing the Collection for the first movie, and subsequent movies also show in the library as individual titles. This started I believe 2.5.38 of ET, but pre-dated the Vertical View rollout by a day or so for me. I checked and I have the Server Setting enabled to "Group Movies in Collections"

However, this behavior is not consistent. A Collection of Dark City (theatrical and director's cut) groups as expected.

These screenshots from Theater and Server's Metadata Manager illustrate this with a Back to the Future and Beauty and the Beast Collections.

post-136972-0-93562100-1488641837_thumb.png

post-136972-0-19041700-1488641845_thumb.png

Edited by ShoutingMan
  • Like 1

ShoutingMan

Hi, do they look normal in the web app? Thanks !

Exactly the same in the web view.

post-136972-0-70981800-1488686022_thumb.png

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Are you sure back to the future 2 and 3 are in that collection?

Yes.

To be sure, I deleted the collections and the movies from the server using the web Metadata manager. I copied the files back into the library, re-scanned. And then went into Emby Theater and re-made the Collections. The Beauty and the Beast is back to normal. But BTTF still behaves as I showed it above.

Update:

Checking Web view, the BTTF 2 and 3 movies show as "Other Items"

post-136972-0-45730300-1488726812_thumb.png

I deleted the Collection again, and re-made it in the webview. I added BTTF III first. It showed me the new collection and the movie was added as "Other Item", not a movie.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

I'm seeing this behavior in other Collections, where movies appear as "Other Items" in the web view and the Movie view is broken like with BTTF in Emby Theater.

ShoutingMan

Last detail, in case it helps:

These collections, like Back to the Future, I originally had the movies in ISO format. I converted them to MKV (and deleted the ISO). I refreshed the library and collections to make sure everything showed the MKVs and not the ISOs.

(But at this point, like with BTTF, I've deleted the server entries multiple times so there shouldn't be any lingering metadata confusing the system.)

ShoutingMan

Here it is with How to Train Your Dragon. The 2nd movie and the direct-to-video short are categorized as movies, but the original is set as "Other Item". The movie listing view in ET is screwed up as originally illustrated for BTTF.

post-136972-0-45628200-1488730703_thumb.png

What is the folder structure of the how to train your dragon videos? Can you show a screenshot? thanks !

ShoutingMan

What is the folder structure of the how to train your dragon videos? Can you show a screenshot? thanks !

Let me know if you need a different view at this, or the NFO files, or whatever. Thanks for trying to figure this out!

post-136972-0-74441400-1488748017_thumb.png

post-136972-0-32632100-1488748024_thumb.png

post-136972-0-22103600-1488748029_thumb.png

post-136972-0-91560900-1488748034_thumb.png

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Any ideas on how to fix this quirk? Thanks. :)

ShoutingMan

The issue continues randomly with new Collections. I created a new Collection for Despicable Me and the movie was categorized as "other items". Adding the Shorts to the Collection, they're categorized properly as movies.

post-136972-0-59871900-1489029879_thumb.png

post-136972-0-02151300-1489030058_thumb.png

Edited by ShoutingMan

The issue continues randomly with new Collections. I created a new Collection for Despicable Me and the movie was categorized as "other items". Adding the Shorts to the Collection, they're categorized properly as movies.

attachicon.gifET Collections not Collecting 10.PNG

attachicon.gifET Collections not Collecting 11.PNG

Thanks, that's just a display issue. I see the issue there.

Unfortunately though as far as grouping goes, i'm not able to reproduce the problem. it seems to be fine here, but I'll dig into it more. @@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce it?

Happy2Play

Haven't seen "Other Items" used on any of my collections, but I don't do extras.  So I will have to test adding some extras. 

@@ShoutingMan Can you post one of the collection.xml files.

ShoutingMan

Haven't seen "Other Items" used on any of my collections, but I don't do extras.  So I will have to test adding some extras. 

@@ShoutingMan Can you post one of the collection.xml files.

The "other items" are happening for non-extras movies. But yes, I use Extras folders and bonus materials for most movies.

Where are the XML files located? I should be able to do that tonight.

Happy2Play

The "other items" are happening for non-extras movies. But yes, I use Extras folders and bonus materials for most movies.

Where are the XML files located? I should be able to do that tonight.

c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\data\collections

Did you previously have this library folder added with a different content type? I think you just have old database entries hanging around where these video files are classified as plain videos, and that's causing an issue.

ShoutingMan

Did you previously have this library folder added with a different content type? I think you just have old database entries hanging around where these video files are classified as plain videos, and that's causing an issue.

Yes. I had ISOs. I replaced them with MKVs.

Since having this problem, i tried deleting the BTTF Collection and Movies from Metadata Manager. Then re-added the movies to the library. But the problem persists.

I'm converting my entire library from ISO to mkv, so this is going to affect everything going forward. How do I purge the library database of outdated metadata?

ShoutingMan

Did you happen to have the iso at the same time as the mkv's?

Almost certainly.

I had the ISO in the library folder. I processed the MKV in a scratch folder. And then when done, copied the MKV into its library folder. Then I'd move the ISO out of the library folder. Then I'd tell Emby Server to "Scan Library"  and let it find the MKV to update the database and whatever else.

In some cases, there were obvious problems in the library after this. So I'd move the MKV to a scratch folder, then delete the media from the metadata manager. Then make the folder again and move the MKV back into it and tell Emby to scan library. Everything looks normal after these steps. But the Collections still don't always work right after deleting the metadata.

I'm not sure if the Collections problem started with my changeover from ISO to MKV, but it could very well be the cause.

ShoutingMan

I deleted all Collections. Then I manually ran the "Clean Database" under Scheduled Tasks. Then I re-made the BTTF Collection. It still mis-files movies II and III as "Other Items" instead of as movies.

The "collection.xml" file is identical to what I posted previously (except for the creation date).

Edited by ShoutingMan