Emby Theater for ppl who don't own the server

player8472

player8472

I'd like to have an option for ppl who have no server of their own (Or have and are over the devices-limit, and or having connection-problems to the auth.service) to buy the Emby-Theater App.

Alternatively you could offer a client-based premiere-sub (5$ a month for xxx Devices, but not via server-stored key).

I think most ppl don't need the Premiere features, but they do need their devices to work all the time...

Right now you're fucked if you OR the server can't auth.

With Android you can at least still buy the App -

For a Win-HTPC you have to either install KODI or use the Browser - which is hell with a Remote.

I looked into Ember for Emby, but that App is really shitty for an X-Box...

And while KODI IS the best client for Emby, it is a heavy-weight which is not for everyone (and bad for mobile as it is complicated to change the quality when on LTE+ with a limited plan)

It would give you additional Revenue AND you'd be finally be better than PLEX in every aspect (in my eyes)^^

Spaceboy

I don't understand. Without the server ET would just play local media? If so how would it better than any other player of local media? E.g. Vlc?

player8472

Say I have a server.

I don't need Premiere feature.

Now I invite my friend to share.

He can't use Emby Theater because he can't alter my server and there is no way to connect the Key to a client directly.

-------------------

Another Example:

I have a server and 7 devices connected.

I invite my parents and a friend.

Each own  5 Devices.

Now 4 devices might not work.

You can still get Android to work since you can buy the App, but Theater won't work because you need a sub and it's maxed to 15 devices.

----

Another weak link is the Authentication itself.

Last week I couldn't use part of my devices, because i couldn't reach the Auth-Server for some reason (ISP didn't route somehow)

If I could buy the Theater App like i can with Android (Maybe even through the MS Store) this wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by player8472

We have discussed having an "unlock app" option for Theater like we do with some of the other apps but it isn't as easy to accomplish because Theater runs across so many different systems as opposed to being sourced out of a store like the others.

So, for now, Theater is a perk available to our Premiere subscribers.

player8472

Would be nice to have it though (Perhaps on a buy-per-system basis at least for the non-tech-wizz OS WIndows^^)

Is it still being looked into, or is it a later as in probably never?

Koleckai Silvestri

You can always discuss this issue with the person who the server that you use. If there are several users you can pool funds to buy premiere for the server.

Spaceboy

Say I have a server.

I don't need Premiere feature.

Now I invite my friend to share.

He can't use Emby Theater because he can't alter my server and there is no way to connect the Key to a client directly.

-------------------

Another Example:

I have a server and 7 devices connected.

I invite my parents and a friend.

Each own 5 Devices.

Now 4 devices might not work.

You can still get Android to work since you can buy the App, but Theater won't work because you need a sub and it's maxed to 15 devices.

----

Another weak link is the Authentication itself.

Last week I couldn't use part of my devices, because i couldn't reach the Auth-Server for some reason (ISP didn't route somehow)

If I could buy the Theater App like i can with Android (Maybe even through the MS Store) this wouldn't be a problem.

ok you mean people that don't have premiere, not people that don't have a server

player8472

NO, I mean people who don't have the Ability to get Premiere, because they are not Server-Owners - but only have Access to another Persons Server.

You are the Friend in the Scenarios, not me^^

Edited by player8472