Live TV bandwidth

itsmynewname

itsmynewname

Ok so I have a server setup . I put a playlist on for live TV but the bandwidth is being used on the server itself and not ftom the playlist source for the users . How do I change this so the users take the bandwidth from the playlist source and not ftom the actual server that emby is set on. I can do this with plex no issue so what is different with emby that is not allowing this or small I doing something wrong?

itsmynewname

Hi luke it's not a playback issue. What I'm trying to explain is I put a playlist up on emby which I feed from say a 10gb server with the relevant software on. So with plex that would pass through to those watching. With emby it doesn't seem to pass through but instead then uses the bandwidth from the server that emby is installed on. We noticed this from client logs on the server. So instead of having 10gb bandwidth it's reduced to the 500mb or whatever the relevant server that emby is on. So my question is am I doing something wrong or is this indeed how emby passes on the playlist? Seems very strange . Thanks

I understand, but the information requested above is what we will need in order to help learn why that is happening. thanks.

mastrmind11

Hi luke it's not a playback issue. What I'm trying to explain is I put a playlist up on emby which I feed from say a 10gb server with the relevant software on. So with plex that would pass through to those watching. With emby it doesn't seem to pass through but instead then uses the bandwidth from the server that emby is installed on. We noticed this from client logs on the server. So instead of having 10gb bandwidth it's reduced to the 500mb or whatever the relevant server that emby is on. So my question is am I doing something wrong or is this indeed how emby passes on the playlist? Seems very strange . Thanks

Set up the optional network path substitution for each library so your clients access the media directly (direct play).

Set up the optional network path substitution for each library so your clients access the media directly (direct play).

While this is good advice, it doesn't relate to Live TV bandwidth.

mastrmind11

While this is good advice, it doesn't relate to Live TV bandwidth.

You are correct, forgot the OP was asking about TV. 

itsmynewname

Well here's my thoughts. You guys at emby ask for over 2000 dollars a year extra to allow us to add upto 1000 clients to the emby server. Yet you can't just explain why the bandwidth is being taken from the server emby is on rather than the servers the playlist comes from. You guys developed it as an alternative to plex , with clearly in mind to making money out of it which I'm happy to pay to put my clients on if it works as it should. So realistically I shouldn't be in a position to have to offer any other information. It clearly doesn't work like plex does in taking the playlist feed from the actual location it came ftom.

Jdiesel

The server repackages the stream in a compatible container to allow for recording, pausing, rewinding and transcoding the stream. It doesn't pass the link through to the client. This means that the server's bandwidth is used for remote playback as everything passes through the server.

For many this is a feature and an improvement over Plex, for others this is a negative thing because it uses bandwidth.

I'm happy to look at resolving this if we can go over an example. If you'd like to do it over PM then please feel free to send me a private message. Thanks !

dcook

I think there should be an option to just pass the live stream on to the client without doing anything to it.

I can see benfits in both situations.

Edited by dcook
  • Like 1