Google ChromeCast with MediaBrowser 3 Classic

Tranquil

Tranquil

Just one question about the new announcement of supporting Chrome Cast in Media Browser classic.

Does this mean, that media browser classic itself acts as a receiver on my TV and I'm able to stream my content from my phone/ tablet directly to my TV? Or do I have to use a ChromeCast dongle for it?

I think the smartest way would be, if MediaBrowser listens to ChromeCast Servers like Smartphones or tablets and acts as a receiver, or?

Maybe I misunderstood the blog entry.

Chromecast is a device. In order for you to cast something to that device, you actually have to own it and plug it into your TV. Remote control with the apps is already built into MBC and the mobile apps available.

Tranquil

Chromecast is a device. In order for you to cast something to that device, you actually have to own it and plug it into your TV. Remote control with the apps is already built into MBC and the mobile apps available.

Remote control, yes. But I'm not able to stream content that is stored on my mobile device. That's why I ask. Otherwise there is no advantage for me as, as you already wrote it, there is a remote function in the app that lets me start movies on my TV within MediaBrowser using the app. Why should I switch to the ChromeCast Dongle for that?

ByTheWay:

I' searching for something like this, but directly in MediaBrowser and not as a separate Plugin in MCE:

http://1geek1tool.com/media-center-cast/

Edited by Tranquil

Chromecast support is designed for those that just want to have a Chromecast plugged into their TV. There would be no HTPC then plugged in to view it. It is just another client like all the others, though no direct interface since you have to interact with another device such as a tablet.

• Like 1

You misunderstood part of the announcement.  The Chromecast support has nothing to do with MB Classic (which is the WMC client for MB).

You would be able to bring up MB on your phone or tablet and then play to your Chromecast just like you can play to one of the MB3 clients now.  MBC will probably not implement this as you are already on an HTPC if you are running MBC.