I made the jump to emby Live TV

mjktg99

mjktg99

I did it, I have dumped WMC (and consequently ServerWMC.  Sorry @@krustyreturns)  But I couldn't handle the crappy guide data anymore that Microsoft via ROVI is putting out there.

So I made the transition to Schedules Direct a few days ago and so far so good.  I am still converting and cutting commercials with MCE Buddy and havent had any issues.

I think overall I havent noticed any differences (aside from the guide) and I think thats a good thing.  WMC was a good product albeit a dying one.  And once the guide provider changed it has gone down hill tremendously.  I thank @@krustyreturns for serverwmc as it definitely served me well for a couple of years now.  Hopefully emby can live up to that high standard and my live tv experience gets even better!

FYI, I primarily (99.9%) use Roku and the new Roku App.

Thanks and make sure to leave plenty of feedback to help our live tv evolve.

bcm00re

So does Emby's Live TV give you a live buffer (for pausing and rewinding)? I am considering making the switch also.

Doh! After reading more, I don't believe my old HDHR-US will work.

Edited by bcm00re

So does Emby's Live TV give you a live buffer (for pausing and rewinding)? I am considering making the switch also.

Stay tuned for support for your old HDHR-US

mjktg99

yes, emby does have the ability to time shift live tv. There is also a beta update that just came out with support for your tuner.

krustyreturns

No worries. Fyi, for those who don't want to switch, the program epg123 lets you use sdirect with WMC.

• Like 1

Latchmor

Yeah I've been using EPG123 since it came out, it's very good. So nice having the simple things like Season and Episode numbers in WMC which I never had before.

• Like 2

jmassaro87

I have also made the switch to ET for my WMC replacement. I love it!! The only this i wish were there was direct integration with my Hauppage tuner, rather than needing NextPVR or other to control it. 

I have also made the switch to ET for my WMC replacement. I love it!! The only this i wish were there was direct integration with my Hauppage tuner, rather than needing NextPVR or other to control it. 

Stay tuned :)

• Like 1

lifespeed

yes, emby does have the ability to time shift live tv. There is also a beta update that just came out with support for your tuner.

What does "time shift" mean in this context?  I know I can record OTA TV and watch later after the recording has completed.  But pausing, scrubbing through the video with the mouse, and watching a show that is only half recorded do not appear to be supported in Emby Theater for Windows.  Or it is operator error?

What does "time shift" mean in this context?  I know I can record OTA TV and watch later after the recording has completed.  But pausing, scrubbing through the video with the mouse, and watching a show that is only half recorded do not appear to be supported in Emby Theater for Windows.  Or it is operator error?

Yeah, that's actually a pet peeve of mine but I stopped fighting it :).  Time Shifting is what we all do all the time with Emby - watch something at some time other than when it actually is airing.

What most people mean when they use that term out here, however, is usually referred to as "Trick Play" in DVRs and means the ability to pause, rewind and fast forward (assuming you paused or rewound) a live broadcast.

That ability exists in the web app and the new Roku app and is coming to the others as fast as we (and the components we rely on) can get it in there.

You can seek live TV in the store edition of Emby Theater as well as the web edition, but not yet in the desktop app.

lifespeed

Yeah, that's actually a pet peeve of mine but I stopped fighting it :).  Time Shifting is what we all do all the time with Emby - watch something at some time other than when it actually is airing.

What most people mean when they use that term out here, however, is usually referred to as "Trick Play" in DVRs and means the ability to pause, rewind and fast forward (assuming you paused or rewound) a live broadcast.

That ability exists in the web app and the new Roku app and is coming to the others as fast as we (and the components we rely on) can get it in there.

Yes, I guess I mean "Trick Play".  Hardware DVRs and Windows Media Center are a tough act to follow.  Sounds like you guys will get there eventually, I'll just have to wait.

You can seek live TV in the store edition of Emby Theater as well as the web edition, but not yet in the desktop app.

I think you said for an HTPC user the regular desktop app was the preferred software.  I guess I will continue to live without this feature for a while.

I think you said for an HTPC user the regular desktop app was the preferred software.  I guess I will continue to live without this feature for a while.

Yes because things like more direct play and lossless audio are usually more important to HTPC users but not necessarily all.  If you were to decide that this seeking ability in Live TV were more important to you, however, you could use the store app instead.

BAlGaInTl

Yes because things like more direct play and lossless audio are usually more important to HTPC users but not necessarily all.  If you were to decide that this seeking ability in Live TV were more important to you, however, you could use the store app instead.

I'm interested as well...

What do you mean by the "store app?"

Is that the Windows store? 

That would require me to give even more information to MS.  So far, I've avoided the store and the MS login like the plague.