Windows Changed Share Requirements

pilgrim2223

pilgrim2223

So fun morning!

Sometime between my last reboot and now something changed in how Windows deals with Shares. Now it is requiring username/password even for shares that are public and open.

Setup in my environment:

UNRAID server Older version... just sits there and works!

Emby Running on Windows 10

Symptoms: After a reboot my systems ability to access the share (i.e. \\unraid\movies)stopped working without credentials through file explorer. For some odd reason the ability to play movies (configured in Emby as \\IP address\movies) did not stop at this time. It all still worked.

Emby failed when it came to adding new movies. It didn't fail or toss an error, just didn't work. 

Solution: I start Emby as a Service using a dummy Admin account that has exactly that one job :) I added that user and password to the Unraid server and Emby was able to read the new entries again.

Crazy stuff! I know windows 10 has been mussing around with anonymous shares off and on... figure they put something or other back in between last night when it worked, and this morning when it did not. This is a solution that should just keep it sitting there working.