Considering a Synology...if you were buying...

majorsl

majorsl

Hi all, I'm considering a new Synology, possibly for use with Emby.  If you could buy one, which would it be?

My environment:

-4 users, mix of streaming from Emby with tablets/laptops some direct play with Kodi.

-I have lots of x265 content mostly at 1080.

-looking at minimum of a 5-bay model (currently my eye is at the 1515+)

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

shad0h

Hi @@majorsl,

There is a general expectation that some xx17 models should be released "soon", so while I agree that the 1515+ is a good option - I am considering upgrading my old 1812+ to an 1815+ - that possible release is causing me to hold up.

At a minimum, it would make the models you are currently considering drop in price - which you can then obviously just put toward better / larger drives.

My 2c

Regards, 

Shane

majorsl

Thank you! Great advice. Drives are not really an issue, I've had 3 Drobo's in use since they first came out. I have a stack of 2TB through 4TB drives. I'm downsizing to just a Drobo 5D for my direct attached storage needs and hope to move to something a little more stand-alone for pure media serving plus a few apps on it that can replace the computers attached to the Gen1 and 2 Drobos.

I may just want to see if there are some updated models with a little more processing power for the x265 transcodes where necessary.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
barat

I think that in the price range of 1515+ you may think about DS916+ and DX213 - it will be then 6-bay and 8GB ram + newer CPU ... or just live with 4HDD

minos

dont buy a ..15+ modell now, there is the intel cpu (Intel Atom C2000)

bug and synology will not make a recall and is trying to sit it out.

there a lot dead ones in the forums.

i have only german forum links but i think it dont helps you.

majorsl

Thanks for the hints. I might wait to see if there is a newer model of the 1515+. I do want a minimum of 5 bays to start as I'd like to use dual disk redundancy from the start.