Android TV App Manual Server Setup Defaults to "Cancel"

BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Hey all...

I'm evaluating Emby to see if I can replace Plex.  I've got almost everything set up, but there is one more problem before I go premiere.

I'm trying to connect to a server manually on the Android TV app.

I put in the domain:

https://server.domain.com

Port:

Port I'm using (different from default)

The problem is that as you go through this, the dialog defaults to "cancel" instead of okay.  You essentially get stuck in an endless loop (see attached).  I did not have this problem with the web app or the Android app.

I did hook up a keyboard and try that way... I was able to "tab" to the okay button, but it still fails to connect.  Seems there's something going on with the function of manually connecting to a server.

I'm using an Nvidia Shield TV.  My wife has a Nexus Player and no extra keyboard, so that won't be an option for her when she needs to set it up.  

Thoughts?

Any workarounds?

I've confirmed that the secure server is operating, and I can connect.  So it isn't a network issue.

Thanks.

post-178164-0-90216000-1488135004_thumb.jpg

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

To add... I can get the app to connect to the server locally on the standard port (not secure).  After that however, it seems to hang at the password entry.

Edit:

Okay... I got connected locally, but I had to hook up a mouse to click "Ok" on the password.  This did not work for connecting to the secure server.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Another thought... does Android TV block access because of the use of a self-signed cert?  Like I said... it works fine on the web and Android app.

• Like 1

Yes that is most likely the reason. There's still a little work to do in the Android TV app in relation to supporting self signed certs.

BAlGaInTl

Yes that is most likely the reason. There's still a little work to do in the Android TV app in relation to supporting self signed certs.

Okay... I was wondering that.

Is there a different place I should report the bug about not being able to manually connect to a server unless you hook up a keyboard or mouse?

BAlGaInTl

Now I'm frustrated.

I went through the process of getting a real cert on my system through letsencrypt.  Combined the files to a .pfx for emby to use.

Once again, it works great in the web and android client.  

The Android TV still won't connect.  I can work around the button issue with a keyboard.

Spaceboy

You can log in with just a remote. Once you have entered your text, do not go to finished. Instead use the back button to cancel text entry and then you will be able to navigate to the ok button. It's really silly, I've complained about it a long time ago but nothing got done.

CBers

You can log in with just a remote. Once you have entered your text, do not go to finished. Instead use the back button to cancel text entry and then you will be able to navigate to the ok button. It's really silly, I've complained about it a long time ago but nothing got done.

I was going to suggest the same as @@Spaceboy.

It is a Google keyboard/UI problem, rather than an app problem, as I have seen it with other apps on my Shield TV's.

BAlGaInTl

I was going to suggest the same as @@Spaceboy.

It is a Google keyboard/UI problem, rather than an app problem, as I have seen it with other apps on my Shield TV's.

Thanks for that info.  That worked for the UI problem.

I'm still getting an "Error Connecting to Server" error.  I'll have to re-attack tonight.

BAlGaInTl

Still no luck.

I can still get other clients to connect to the secure server both locally and from the internet.  I purchased the Android TV client, thinking that may have something to do with it, but no go.

I just sent a log from the app a couple minutes ago.

Is there any way to have someone take a look at it to see why the Shield TV won't connect?  I tried both on the local network and on an external network.

Thanks.

BAlGaInTl

Have done the required port-forwarding for remote access?

Yes.  

I can connect to the secure server using both the web application as well as the android client.  

The web client simply recognizes the letsencrypt cert and connects (no more forcing it).

The Android client asks me to accept the cert the first time it loads, but then is fine.

Does this happen with plain http?

I can connect with plain http fine.  I'm just trying to avoid opening up unencrypted ports.

I would have already bought premiere if it weren't for this one hangup.  Right now, my wife and I are living apart because of work.  I want her to be able to use her Nexus player to access our library.  We are using PLEX right now, but it is also unencrypted, and I want to get away from that.  

I'm not sure if using a Premier Connect account instead of trying to do it manually would change anything.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

The attempt to contact your server on https and port 8942 is timing out...

What would cause that to happen only on the Android TV App?

It also failed when I tried it from my local network.

Out of curiosity... Can you connect to my server via the web on that port?

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

I think it is because we have work to do in the TV app in relation to self signed certs.

But I'm using a cert from letsencrypt now.

Seems to be working for web and Android. I wish I had another client to test it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Edited by BAlGaInTl

What would cause that to happen only on the Android TV App?

Not sure but the error being produced is a time-out.  It is possible that is how a ssl rejection would manifest to us I guess as maybe the system still wants the certificate installed/validated on the device.

I can reach your server with a browser.

BAlGaInTl

Not sure but the error being produced is a time-out.  It is possible that is how a ssl rejection would manifest to us I guess as maybe the system still wants the certificate installed/validated on the device.

I can reach your server with a browser.

Well bummer.

I know that mine is probably an odd case since most people use Android TV in their own home.  The purchased app is working great for that locally.

Anything I can do to help troubleshoot other than the log files I sent?

Seems to me that for some reason I don't get a prompt to select the certificate. 

Just for fun, I tried to access the site from Chrome browser (sideloaded) on the Android TV.  It also does not trust the cert.  I took a picture and will upload it shortly.

If you can figure out how to validate the certificate using the browser, it may start working in the app...

BAlGaInTl

If you can figure out how to validate the certificate using the browser, it may start working in the app...

I was ahead of you.... but so far no luck.  This is what the browser gives...

Your connection to *server*( is encrypted using an obsolete cipher suite.

The connection uses TLS 1.0.

The connection is encrypted using AES_128_CBC with HMAC SHA1 for message authentication and RSA as the key exchange mechanism.

The server does not support the TLS renegotiation extension.

See attached.

post-178164-0-04542900-1488321594_thumb.png

Soon we will be updating the server to support the mono runtime version 4.8 and that will bring us up to TLS 1.2.

BAlGaInTl

hmmm... so I tried another site/port on my server too (different app) and got the same error.  Seems that Android TV is only using TLS 1.0?

I connected with my desktop, and it is properly using TLS 1.2.  Emby is using TLS 1.0.

So that also makes me wonder... why is my other app being forced to TLS 1.0 on Android TV too?

Edited by BAlGaInTl