New media player shortcomings

revengineer

revengineer

Updating from v2.8.54 to 2.8.70, I found that the Android video player has been updated. The new player no longer overrides the orientation lock, a function that is sensible for video players. Also SD live TV only fills a fraction of the screen and options to fill the screen are not longer available. There are no obvious benefits with the new player. Please restore the functionality we just lost. Thank you.

Thanks for the report. The benefits with the new design are obvious if you use other Emby apps. It is the same, consistent OSD design.

• Like 1

The orientation override, brightness swipe feature, and volume swipe feature are all back in 2.8.75. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

revengineer

Great, thank you Luke. Is it also possible to get the screen size adjustments back (fill, 16:9, etc.)?

BTW: I did not realize that the purpose of the new player was consistency between apps. I only use Roku and android and these apps are very different and I would not expect otherwise.

Edited by revengineer
  • Like 1

Yes we can look at those.

if you watch a video in landscape orientation you should be seeing the poster on the left bottom with controls to the right of that. It might not yet be an exact match with the new Roku app but the general layout is very similar. I am of course referring to the new Roku beta preview app, not the current store app.

revengineer

Great, I will re-check the Android app periodically and will use the latest version again when the screen size functionality has been restored.

I use the Roku store app rather than the beta, so I do not see the similarities in the layout. No big deal, most important is that the app works well. 

computerprep

A small UI suggestion, just posting here since the title matches my concern exactly...

The user interface buttons in the new Android Mobile player don't minimize as completely as they should. When they're hidden from view, the bottom-most row of pixels is some shade of grey.

post-1756-0-89871700-1488599926_thumb.png

Smitty018210

Great, thank you Luke. Is it also possible to get the screen size adjustments back (fill, 16:9, etc.)?

@@Luke

Yes please return this function. It is what made the android app the best. I'm still using WMC for tv and wont even look at theater again until an easy way of fill or zoom function is added. Very disappointing to lose this ability in yet another app. I don't understand why we keep removing this option from the different apps. Some of use just do like having black bars on our screens. Sorry about the rant, but I feel like I can't use half of the new stuff Emby offers b/c I'm stuck using WMC for this reason.

Just my two cents.

edit:

Just saw this will be fix!! Thank you!!

Edited by Smitty018210
  • Like 1

Smitty018210

Did you read post #7?

@@Luke yeah, I saw this right after working 14 hour shift and was dead tired. Sorry about that. But my point about Emby theater still stands.