Subtitles too low - anyway to change screenposition?

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Is there any way to change the positioning of subtitles in Emby Theater? I want to raise them up about one line height.

I'm comparing native playback of subtitled movies as discs in PowerDVD compared to MKV in Emby Theater. Emby theater positions the subtitles significantly lower in the screen than the disc playback does. This worsens the overall experience. For a letterboxed movie like "Amelie", the subtitles fall across the letterbox boundary in Emby while they're within the movie frame natively. And in all cases (also seen in a 1.85 movie like "Kiki's Delivery Service") the subtitles are too close to the bottom of the screen, farther from the natural viewing location, making it a bit harder to read and watch simultaneously.

I think the total experience would be improved for a number of movies if I could raise the subtitles position upward about one (text) line.

ShoutingMan

I'm running the latest Emby Theater and Emby Server on Windows 10. I'm not using MadVR.

I'm using subtitles within the MKV file; no SRT files. I do not have "Download Subtitles for" enabled in Emby Server.

Edited by ShoutingMan

AdrianW

• Run ET in a window and start playing something with subs

Right click the green curved arrow that appears in the notification area

Click XySubFilter (=> madVR)

Click the Styles... button

Alter the screen alignment and Margins values 

You can also change the colour, border and shadow here - I usual set the font colour to a very light yellow.

ShoutingMan

That's not an option. I have:

XySubFilter(=> EVR Presenter (babgvant))

Clicking that does nothing.

EDIT:

I enabled MadVR (from Auto) in the Theater program. I now have

XySubFilter (=> MadVR)

There's a little MadVR icon in the toolbar. I can bring it up, but it doesn't have any settings for subtitles that I can find

Edited by ShoutingMan

AdrianW

That's not an option. I have:

Subtitles (=> EVR Presenter (babgvant))

Mine says "=> madVR" because I'm using madVR as a renderer instead of EVR.

You must be using EVR+ (or Auto) - when I clicked "Subtitles (=> EVR Presenter (babgvant))" - the XySubFilter dialog appears, are you sure it wasn't hiding behind another window?

If not, then maybe @@babgvant could help.

Edited by AdrianW

ShoutingMan

I turned on MadVR. There's no settings for it either.

Clicking the labels in the XYSubFilter pop-up menu doesn't bring up any menus or apps or anything. Nothing hiding behind windows or in Explorer pages.

I'm using Emby Theater on Win 10.

ShoutingMan

Mine says "=> madVR" because I'm using madVR as a renderer instead of EVR.

You must be using EVR+ (or Auto) - when I clicked "Subtitles (=> EVR Presenter (babgvant))" - the XySubFilter dialog appears, are you sure it wasn't hiding behind another window?

If not, then maybe @@babgvant could help.

What version Emby Theater are you running?

Mine is 2.5.38

Maybe I've got an outdated version and need to update.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

2.5.38 is the latest version of Emby Theater.

Thanks.

Do you know if there should be a control panel for XySubFilter from its green-arrow notification icon?

Wondering if something is wrong with my installation.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

I uninstalled Emby Theater and reinstalled it. I tried every video playback option (Auto, EVR, EVR+, MadVR). With each, I played a movie with subtitles, and tried clicking on the xysubfilter or vsfilter and the other buttons in the notification area dingus for the subtitles. Nothing brings up an interface to adjust subtitle display.

Is there any other way to adjust the parameters for subtitles? It seems like what I want -- change vertical position of text a little -- is supported by the tools. If only I could access or feed the subtitling DLL parameters.

Edited by ShoutingMan

I'm pretty sure xbsubfilters has settings for that but as of yet we have not exposed them in the Theater UI.