Play all with external player = nightmare

SirJMD

I accidentally pressed "play all" in Emby Theatre, and my external player started playing. That's how it should work.. however, when I closed the player it just popped up again with the next episode.. and again.. and again.. and again..

Only way to stop it was to close Emby Theatre completely.

I don't know if there's a way to fix this, or if it's just the way it has to be when using external player.

AdrianW

There's a number of things that need fixing when using an external player.

Number one is getting two-way communication between the player and Emby, so stopping part way through records the progress correctly. MB2 used to do that successfully years ago. If that was solved then perhaps ET wouldn't keep marking episodes as watched even after only watching a small portion.

Another issue I'm experiencing is that MPC-HC will no longer switch refresh rates - so I'm stuck watching everything at 60Hz. Some update to ET seemed to be the cause of that. Perhaps I need to re-install MPC-HC and MadVR and re-configure them.

But, I'd prefer not to have to use an external player at all - but the really bad performance with x265 and 30 & 60 fps content makes that content just unwatchable with the built-in player.

@@AdrianW, the second one is completely independent of Emby Theater. There is no way Theater could cause that.

The first one is a request, not a problem. This is a generic external player mechanism. It does not know anything about mpc, vlc, or any other player. It's just a matter of configure your command line and go.

AdrianW

@@AdrianW

The first one is a request, not a problem. This is a generic external player mechanism. It does not know anything about mpc, vlc, or any other player. It's just a matter of configure your command line and go.

But it certainly presents as a problem - shows gets flagged as watched after only watching a portion, and that's probably what's causing the op's issue with the next episode starting to play when stopping the current one (Emby thinks the episode was completely watched).

And, if only that "Play All" button wasn't there at all - this issue wouldn't have raised it's head.

You're probably right about my MPC-HC frame rate issue - but it used to work properly. I thought it may have been caused by some conflict between ET's MadVR install and my standard install of it.

AdrianW

It would be nice if ET could deal with some specific external players functionality. It's cool that it's currently generic - but there's not that many choices for external players - and MPC-HC does have it's built-in web interface that could be utilised.

But (again) I'd really like not to have to use an external player at all. I'm currently switching between internal and external a couple of times every day for different content.