MB3 and extenders question

MediaManXL

MediaManXL

I have been using MB 2 for quite some time now.  I have a Media Center PC with a Ceton quad tuner card installed down in the basement that is my main Media Center system.  Upstairs we have a Ceton Echo.  The Echo works fine for Live TV, but is very dissapointing for playing back my stored content (mostly MKVs.)  The Media Browser experience on the extender just is nowhere near as good as it is on the MCE PC in the basement.  Some movies play, some don't, and some lock it up completely.

I'm curious if the client/server nature of MB3 changes the equation at all when it comes to the extender.  Is the video decoding being done by the MB server, the client or the

extender itself?  Is this different than how it was done with MB 2?

Thanks!

Playback for MBC/Extenders is basically the same.  Extenders do not handle mkv well as far as I know.

MB3 does, however, have more light-client options with the Roku, Android boxes and ChromeCast all available or coming.

• Like 1

MediaManXL

Thanks so much for the reply.   With the Live TV support being added to MB3, I may soon decide to ditch the Echo all together and use one of the alternative clients for everything.

Thanks for all the great work.

christoph86

I have the echo as well and it just is not reliable for anything other than live tv and recordings. Even changing to mp4 is not reliable on it. It's a design flaw. The roku 3 on the other hand has been very nice, I really like it and gives me HBO go access as well. I've had no issues with movie playback with media browser channel on the roku. The addition of live tv on these clients is exciting.

Playback for MBC/Extenders is basically the same.  Extenders do not handle mkv well as far as I know.

MB3 does, however, have more light-client options with the Roku, Android boxes and ChromeCast all available or coming.

Your are correct. Xbox extender show no video (Black screen) with MKV's encoded with AAC audio. Re-encode to AC3 will resolve issues. This applies to MB Classic as well as MB2.

I use MKV2AC3 but there is lots of apps out there.

m

• Like 1