shield media format question

Erik

Hello,

Does the shield TV decode audio if the TV/Amp doesn't support a certain audio or does it rely on Emby server to transcode?

For example if a file has DTS-HD MA but the TV supports DD only? (I know that format can pass through, but I'm asking if the end doesn't support it?)

Thanks,

Erik

mastrmind11

Hello,

Does the shield TV decode audio if the TV/Amp doesn't support a certain audio or does it rely on Emby server to transcode?

For example if a file has DTS-HD MA but the TV supports DD only? (I know that format can pass through, but I'm asking if the end doesn't support it?)

Thanks,

Erik

Shield supports pass through.  If you don't want to pass through, Emby will transcode it.  I think that's pretty universal for every device on the planet at this point.  

mastrmind11

Thanks.

I keep trying to find a HTPC substitute.....

Sounds like you need to find a server substitute... clients are meant to be light weight and low powered, neither of which is conducive to having the ability to transcode efficiently.  If you don't have a TV or preamp/receiver capable of passthrough, you're hamstrung.

Edited by mastrmind11

@@mastrmind11 Not a server problem (i7 dedicated media server). 

I tried a Roku Ultra that I'm returning (NOT emby's fault), I just found that the experience and options wasn't there from the Roku. So taking a look at the shield TV.

The HTPC plays anything i throw at it without hesitation and the family very rarely has any issues and I wanted to have the similar experience without the real estate.

I find I always have the best experience and least amount of problems with direct play solutions, so i try and maximize direct play when i can regardless if its the stand-alone TV or full theater room.

scharbag

I am curious about the Shield performance too.  I am still using Emby on WMC with older Windows 7 clients because I find it has the best user experience. Let us know how she goes.

Cheers,