Any plans to implement MP4 emedded metadata

mikemc601f

mikemc601f

I have several hundred movies encoded in mp4 format with the metadata embedded into the file including cover art. I would like to transition from plex to MB3 but would like to use my existing metadata. Any plans to add this feature? Thanks

• 2 months later...
mikemc601f

Ok, I give up. I've created a 35mb mp4 file with the metadata embedded. How do I "post" it? Please don't let it be something simple that makes me feel stupid. ;)

Tikuf

Yup got it thanks

Luke

Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp42isomavc1
    creation_time   : 2014-04-26 01:05:34
    title           : Apollo 13
    artist          : Ron Howard
    genre           : Drama
    date            : 1995-06-22
    description     : Stranded 205,000 miles from Earth in a crippled spacecraft, astronauts Jim Lovell (Hanks), Fred Haise (Paxton) and Jac
k Swigert (Bacon) fight a desperate battle to survive. Meanwhile, at Mission Control, astronaut Ken Mattingly (Sinise), flight direc
    synopsis        : Stranded 205,000 miles from Earth in a crippled spacecraft, astronauts Jim Lovell (Hanks), Fred Haise (Paxton) and Jac
k Swigert (Bacon) fight a desperate battle to survive. Meanwhile, at Mission Control, astronaut Ken Mattingly (Sinise), flight director G
    encoder         : MkvToMp4 [www.mkvtomp4.ru] version: 0.224 (x64)
    hd_video        : 1
    media_type      : 9

Not sure it would only be valid in m4v or also valid for mp4.

The metadata we get for movies etc is far richer than what is contained in the metadata of that file.
Edited by Tikuf
  • Like 1

mikemc601f

Tikuf, I know it's just with iTunes, Chromecast, Apple TV , PC, and all it would be nice to continuity between all devices.

M4v is just apples naming convention for mp4 video. The file extensions are interchangeable.

Thanks for looking into this guys. If I'm the only one in all the world that wants it I understand if you don't pursue it.

Tikuf

Ya just not sure that anything /anyone would have the same embedded data (formatting wise) in an mp4.

Edit : I would think it was embedded by itunes luke.

Edited by Tikuf

to be honest i think we're reading some of the fields right now. it's just that internet metadata is taking priority. 

mikemc601f

I use a program called mkv2mp4 to add the metadata. I believe it's very similar to how an mp3 file is tagged.

mikemc601f

There are lots of people on the apple, ios forums that format their movies this way. The way the Plex handles this is in the metadata options they have "Local Metada" option and then they pull any missing info from other sources such as TMDB. If you all could get this sorted out and the transcoding issue I mentioned in the IOS forum, I would gladly promote MB in the apple forums.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just started using Emby to add remote viewing of my iTunes library. I have hundreds of TV Shows and Movies neatly categorized with metadata etc. that I use in iTunes with Home Sharing to my Apple TV and other iOS devices. In an effort to find a way to also view this when outside of the house I looked into Emby. Problem is Emby isn't reading the metadata in the MP4 files. Even though the Season and Episode are embedded in the file, Emby seams to only be looking at the file name. Are there any plans to read embedded data? Would solve the only problem I have with the software. Thanks!

Steven

Hi, I just started using Emby to add remote viewing of my iTunes library. I have hundreds of TV Shows and Movies neatly categorized with metadata etc. that I use in iTunes with Home Sharing to my Apple TV and other iOS devices. In an effort to find a way to also view this when outside of the house I looked into Emby. Problem is Emby isn't reading the metadata in the MP4 files. Even though the Season and Episode are embedded in the file, Emby seams to only be looking at the file name. Are there any plans to read embedded data? Would solve the only problem I have with the software. Thanks!

If you have your TV Shows in the correct folder structure then Emby will pull all the metadata you need in from the net - along with all artwork, backdrops, etc. There's a wiki for the naming convention but it's pretty standard:

\TV

\Glee

\Season 1

Glee S01E01.mp4

Glee S01E02.mp4

\TV

\Seinfeld

Seinfeld S01E01.mp4

Seinfeld S01E02.mp4

\Movies\Pulp Fiction (1994).avi

\Movies\Reservoir Dogs (1992).avi

\Movies\The Usual Suspects (1995).avi

\Movies\Avatar (2009)-cd1.mkv

\Movies\Avatar (2009)-cd2.mkv

\Movies\Avatar (2009)\somefilename.mkv

\Movies\The Usual Suspects (1995)\somefilename.avi

\Movies\The Usual Suspects (1995)\somefilename-cd1.avi

\Movies\The Usual Suspects (1995)\somefilename-cd2.avi

\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd1.mkv

\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd2.mkv

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Have a bunch of TV Shows in iTunes and everything is working great with Home Sharing to my Apple TVs and iOS devices. Pointed Emby at my iTunes folder for TV Shows and since iTunes has it's own file naming convention Emby isn't recognizing the Seasons and Episodes. All the metadata is in the MP4 files and shows up fine in iTunes and over Home Sharing but when I use Emby it all says NameSeasonUnknown. Wondering if I'm missing something, why is Emby not ready the embedded metadata in the files to build it's library?

Koleckai Silvestri

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Have a bunch of TV Shows in iTunes and everything is working great with Home Sharing to my Apple TVs and iOS devices. Pointed Emby at my iTunes folder for TV Shows and since iTunes has it's own file naming convention Emby isn't recognizing the Seasons and Episodes. All the metadata is in the MP4 files and shows up fine in iTunes and over Home Sharing but when I use Emby it all says NameSeasonUnknown. Wondering if I'm missing something, why is Emby not ready the embedded metadata in the files to build it's library?

iTunes video files are under DRM and encrypted. Only iTunes can read them.

iTunes video files are under DRM and encrypted. Only iTunes can read them.

Sorry I wasn't clear, the files are ripped from my DVD and BluRay collection, they don't have DRM or encryption. Emby is still not reading the metadata in there. I can confirm with Subler that the data is there.

Happy2Play

Can you provide a specific example of this structure/naming convention that Emby doesn't recognize.

Can you provide a specific example of this structure/naming convention that Emby doesn't recognize.

Sure, here's an example of the directory structure for one of my TV shows with multiple seasons:

/Users/guri/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/TV Shows/Entourage

Under this directory the files are named as follows:

1-01 Entourage (Pilot) (1080p HD).mp4

1-02 The Review (1080p HD).mp4

2-01 The Boys are Back in Town (1080p HD).mp4

2-02 My Maserati Does 185 (1080p HD).mp4

So basically the first number is the Season (without leading zero) followed by a dash then the Episode number (with leading zero) followed by the Episode name followed by resolution in brackets.

Really it shouldn't matter what the filename convention is, embedded inside the MP4 file is the data about Season ID, Episode ID etc. and Emby should be reading that but it seams like it's not.

Here's a screenshot of Subler showing the metadata embedded in the MP4 file.

5637b673dd411_ScreenShot20151102at111536

Happy2Play

Currently as far as I know the only embedded metadata that is read are for MP3s.  Does iTunes allow you change the TV naming convention?  Can the dash be changed to an "x"?

Currently as far as I know the only embedded metadata that is read are for MP3s.  Does iTunes allow you change the TV naming convention?  Can the dash be changed to an "x"?

Unfortunately I can't change it, just seems to be built-in. The only option is whether I want iTunes to keep it organized by renaming or not. Here's the Advanced Preferences screen:

5637b942f0e43_ScreenShot20151102at112652