DS216play

mikeraburn
Go to solution Solved by Spaceboy,

mikeraburn

My old windows "server" is on it's last leg.

I have ordered the Synology DS216play.

I have reviewed the threads here and honestly I do not understand most of it.

My question is, will it just plain work with EMBY?

mikeraburn

I think I just answered one part of my question.

From Synology I see I can upgrade the DSM if needed.

Synology is at DSM 6.1

I have cannot find what this box ships with DSM wise.

Emby NAS Synology Page says that it's good for DSM 5.2-5967 or later.

mikeraburn

More questions

I would rather post here than at the synology site.

I understand that the 1st disk I insert will be formated and the NAS server package installed, along with EMBY when I do that.

What about the second drive??

The DS216play install guide does not address that. Does the below pertain to ANY drive?

From the hardware setup page, "Warning, If you install a drive that contains data, the system will format the drive and erase all existing data. Please back up any important data before install."

The more I read that the answer is YES...

I have checked HDD compatibility on Synology both using general and DS216play specific options.

The general options say that I already have compatible drives where the DS216play option says I do not.

What are other people's experiences?

I am NOT going to need a RAID setup. I hope that is possible to opt out.

The question about the second HDD inserted needing to be formated also goes to the question,

Can I slap in a second drive with media already on it and it is ready to go?

I did grab a new WD RED 3TB with the NAS purchase as a failsafe. 

I will be using that as the first HDD installed.

I guess I can back up one of the less full existing HDDs and slap that one in as the second drive and see if anything goes BOOM.

I do have the luxury of keeping the old "server" up and running along side the new NAS and slowly migrate over.

That will blow speechles's Blue Neons mind and probably confuse my Rokus AND confuse me...

But that's the fun of it, correct?

Any advice, recommendations, or past experiences are greatly appreciated.

• Solution
Spaceboy

No any disk inserted into a synology will be wiped, you need to make provision to copy the data to the synology once the disk array has expended

Some people get obsessed with disk compatibility, I didn't. I'm still using wd green and crappy seagate and hitachi drives that I had in my desktop and didn't want to waste. 2 years later some have failed, others still going strong but as long as only one fails at a time then it's fine, you can replace. I have a full external backup though

I see you're not interested in raid so ignore the last bit. Your disks will still be wiped though

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 2