emby-server updates for FreeBSD?

zmoneyradio

zmoneyradio

Hello!

I just started using Emby Server on my nas4free box, running FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p7. The latest emby-server package available is 3.1.2. Just curious how often FreeBSD packages are updated to the latest version of Emby Server or if there's something I need to do before trying to upgrade the emby-server package to make sure I'm getting the latest version.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Steinar79

I don't know if nas4free can install packages from pkg repository or it's like FreeNAS where you can't. If you can:

sudo pkg update 

sudo pkg upgrade

That said, I think 3.1.2 is the latest version for FreeBSD at the moment. I have moved my FreeNAS to Bhyve with Ubuntu server. It's a little hassle if you have never done it, but it works really good, at least for me. 

makarai

I don't know if nas4free can install packages from pkg repository or it's like FreeNAS where you can't. If you can:

sudo pkg update 

sudo pkg upgrade

That said, I think 3.1.2 is the latest version for FreeBSD at the moment. I have moved my FreeNAS to Bhyve with Ubuntu server. It's a little hassle if you have never done it, but it works really good, at least for me. 

Do you map your media folder in with an NFS share or directly add as a volume / mnt?

zmoneyradio

Thanks for the reply.

sudo pkg update 

sudo pkg upgrade

That said, I think 3.1.2 is the latest version for FreeBSD at the moment. 

nas4free can install packages from repository, but you're right, 3.1.2 is the latest version for FreeBSD unfortunately. I guess my real question is how often are the FreeBSD versions updated? Looks like at least 2 updates have rolled out to other platforms since 3.1.2.

Do you map your media folder in with an NFS share or directly add as a volume / mnt?

I mapped using fstab. Worked great.

samhefnawy

How to get the Server address or IP address for WebOs on LG TV?

I have added the app but can't set it up, I'm not developer just user!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josh4trunks

As you can see here the port was updated to version 3.2.1 by @@woodsb02 on February 10th.

http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server

After that things are a bit out of human control. The package servers build packages for different major versions of FreeBSD 9/10/11, 32bit/64bit.

I'm not 100% sure if this effects all packages, but I also heard FreeBSD has implemented some type of quarterly release system, so depending on what train you are you may only get feature updates every 3 months. Security updates will continue to be available though.

As @@josh4trunks said, since FreeBSD 10.0 the default behaviour for packages is to do regular (non-security) updates on a quarterly basis. If you want more recent versions you can either change to the latest packages (built from ports every day) or build it yourself from ports.@@woodsb02 usually updates the emby-server port within a couple of days, so it's very recent that way.

woodsb02

Hi everyone,

FreeBSD has 2 supported branches of the ports tree at any time: head (the latest/master) and quarterly (e.g. 2017Q1 at the moment).

By default, FreeBSD's pkg tool uses the quarterly branch. The goal is that users will have more stable packages (not having to do a large number of upgrades every week), but still have security updates and bug fixes. Whilst I am not allowed to apply normal updates to the quarterly branch, if the version in the quarterly branch has a known security vulnerability, or does not work, I can either apply the fix, or upgrade it (if the fix is hard to isolate from the upgrade).

That said, the emby community appears to be very hungry for the latest - and you can have it too! :)

If you want pkg to instead use the packages which are built every couple of days against the head branch, then create a file /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with the following content:

FreeBSD: {

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"

}

Then run "pkg update" and "pkg upgrade"... you will always get the latest.

From there, there are 2 things which would stop you having the latest:

1. After each new release, I have to commit the update to the head branch. I normally get onto this within a couple of days, but if I'm busy it's almost always within a week.

2. The head pkgs are built every few days, so could lag 2 days behind my updates.

You can always see if I have committed the latest to the ports head branch by watching here:

http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server

Hope that is helpful for everyone :)

Regards,

Ben

• Like 1

Steinar79

Thanks Ben, that's very clarifying :-). 

By default, FreeBSD's pkg tool uses the quarterly branch. The goal is that users will have more stable packages (not having to do a large number of upgrades every week), but still have security updates and bug fixes. Whilst I am not allowed to apply normal updates to the quarterly branch, if the version in the quarterly branch has a known security vulnerability, or does not work, I can either apply the fix, or upgrade it (if the fix is hard to isolate from the upgrade).

I'm a newbie on FreeBSD too, so I'm sorry I this question is stupid:
The handbook says that you will get all the security updates using the commands freebsd-update fetch && freebsd-update install. If you apply a secuirty fix for Emby, will they be installed with those commands or do I still have to use pkg update && pkg upgrade?   

Thanks Ben, that's very clarifying :-). 

I'm a newbie on FreeBSD too, so I'm sorry I this question is stupid:

The handbook says that you will get all the security updates using the commands freebsd-update fetch && freebsd-update install. If you apply a secuirty fix for Emby, will they be installed with those commands or do I still have to use pkg update && pkg upgrade?   

freebsd-update is just for the base system. You will still have to use pkg to install/remove/update packages from the package repo.

• Like 1

woodsb02

Indeed, Zarper is correct.

FreeBSD has a concept of a "base system", which does not exist with Linux. The base system is a single source tree which contains kernel and userland applications (such as ls, mv, ifconfig, etc). This source tree is not developed by individual projects and combined to make a workable system, but maintained by a single project team - FreeBSD. And it's history stems back to the original BSD unix developed by the CSRG at the University of Berkeley in California in the late 1970s. This close coupling between kernel and userland provides some interesting features, and many commits provide a new kernel API and userland tool to use it in one.

In contrast, Linux is a kernel which is developed by Linus et al. The userland is largely supplied by GNU. These are two separate project teams and a single commit cannot bring a new kernel feature and new userland tool to use it - it would have to be one commit to the Linux kernel source tree, and one commit to the Userland source tree (e.g. binutils).

Of course, the FreeBSD supplied userland is great, but it doesn't contain a graphical environment or multimedia applications. That is where ports and packages come in. The FreeBSD ports tree is a set of Makefiles and patched that allow packages to be compiled from thousands of different software projects around the globe (creating something like a "App Store"). This allows the user to simply "pkg install emby-server". The ports tree of instructions to compile these packages is also maintained the FreeBSD project, but a different set of developers. I myself have commit access to update the ports tree, but not the base system. Given that there are close to 30,000 ports, it's a problem of scale - lots and lots of work to keep them up to date and free of vulnerabilities.

FreeBSD security updates require 2 things:

1. Keep you base system (kernel and userland) up to date with "freebsd-update fetch install":

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

2. Keep your packages up to date with "pkg upgrade":

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/pkgng-intro.html

Note that emby-server updates come with the latter. By default on a quarterly basis (except any with security fixes), but switch to the "latest" branch of packages as described above if quicker updates is something you value.

Edited by woodsb02
  • Like 1

Steinar79

Thank you very much for your explanation, Ben and Zarper! 

So, if I understand correctly: 

1. The base system is not upgrading to newer versions of the applications, only security updates. 

2. Packages installed from "pkg install packagename" is actually semi rolling with updates every 3 months... 

3. ...or rolling if you apply the changes /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf 

Which is fantastic, and something I have always wanted from a Linux distro! 

Edited by Steinar79

woodsb02

Thank you very much for your explanation, Ben and Zarper!

So, if I understand correctly:

1. The base system is not upgrading to newer versions of the applications, only security updates.

2. Packages installed from "pkg install packagename" is actually semi rolling with updates every 3 months...

3. ...or rolling if you apply the changes /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Which is fantastic, and something I have always wanted from a Linux distro!

That is correct. However it is worth mentioning that for point 1, freebsd-update only performs minor patches to the base system, unless it is used to upgrade the base system to a new minor release (e.g. FreeBSD 10.1 to FreeBSD 10.2) or a new major release (e.g. FreeBSD 10.2 to FreeBSD 11.0). Note that this requires the command "freebsd-update upgrade ...".

• Like 1