Projector recommendations

bigjohn

Anyone have any recommendations for a good living room projector?  For financial reasons I can't go too fancy but I need to replace my 6-year-old LCD that has a growing dark line down the middle.

I've been considering:

BenQ W1070

Acer H6510BD

Epson Powerlite HC 2030 or HC 2000

Any opinions?

kreeturez

Anyone have any recommendations for a good living room projector? For financial reasons I can't go too fancy but I need to replace my 6-year-old LCD that has a growing dark line down the middle.

I've been considering:

BenQ W1070

Acer H6510BD

Epson Powerlite HC 2030 or HC 2000

Any opinions?

Can't comment on the others but I own a W1070. It's a remarkable device; been extremely happy with daily use of it for a year or so.

Also, Amazon keeps running specials on it so the price drops a bit every time I look at it ;-)

The only considerations for you will be mounting (use a distance calculator on the manufacturer's site to make sure it'll work in your living room!) and light control - even though it's bright, you'll want to be able to close the curtains sometimes since black levels and dark scenes take a hit in excess ambient light.

Coming from an old display like yours, I suspect that picture quality will impress.

Edited by kreeturez
  • Like 2

Yeah, I've already been playing around with the throw distance calculator on the BenQ site.  Thanks for the input!  My biggest concern is how the picture will look in my non-light-controlled living room during the day.

kreeturez

Yeah, I've already been playing around with the throw distance calculator on the BenQ site. Thanks for the input! My biggest concern is how the picture will look in my non-light-controlled living room during the day.

Depends on what you're watching: sports/cartoons and other brighter content will look good: movies OTOH less so. If you have no control over ambient light at all, that may be a deal-breaker (sunlight all over is a no-no). A bit of ambient light is fine. You could of course keep the LCD for the day and have a pull-down (or motorized) screen in front for night-time projection.

I've actually set up two calibration profiles on mine for Day and Night, with the former pushing up brightness and dropping gamma (at the expense of losing shadow detail and raising the black floor) since I have some (but not fortunes) of light bouncing around my room during the day.

Suffice it to say that the difference in near-darkness is 'day and night' ;-)

If you can arrange one with a return policy to try out in your room first, that'd be my recommendation.

And if all else fails - just get one for your master bedroom! :-D

Edited by kreeturez