[OT] HDHomeRun and Google team up to bring OTA live channel DVR to Android TV

CBers

What's the advantage of this if you're already in the Emby ecosystem?  

It would localize the recordings and schedule and everything to the actual device - which would be a fair disadvantage I would think...

• Like 2

What's the advantage of this if you're already in the Emby ecosystem?  

One current advantage is that the guida data (at least for now) is provided for free (of course only to this app). Another is that you can use PIP.

I also believe that this is separate from the DVR beta, as before I had the HDHomeRun beta app linked the live channel app, and if I wanted to use the DVR functionality, I would have to pay for it.

I don't think that I would record on my Android TV, as it would "lock" the recording to the device, but I like the way the guide is displayed, for example, when you are in a channel row, the row below has the program information.

Now is it a big change that would affect the way I view or record over the air TV? No, for now PIP is not what I expected,like actually being able to have 2 video sources playing at the same time. If I try to play any video when PIP is enabled, it closes the window and plays the new video full screen. Maybe this is because the only app that I have right now that supports PIP.

For me, the good thing, is that this shows that Google is still investing resources on Android TV, using Nougat, enabling new functionality.

One current advantage is that the guida data (at least for now) is provided for free (of course only to this app). 

Is saving $26 a year really a motivating factor?

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Not for me.  Emby is in good shape at the moment.  Wonder how this update plays w/ Plex since Plex is local to the box too...

On its own, and as it is no. Everything is locked to the specific device, and the guida data is only for that device. So at least in my case I will continue my guide data subscription, that I can use in any device.

My guess is that this is not only SD and Google working together, but it is part of the cablebox thing that the FCC was going to ask the cable companies to allow apps on these kind of devices to replace cable boxes. Why else would Google enhance their application to allow free recording and free guided data, but with the recording locked down to the device, specially right now, that is only recording free over that air, or unencrypted shows, and then locking them to the device. WMC only did this, if the channel itself had the copy flag. 

breezytm

I am curious to know, for users such as myself who has CEC enabled, if the TV and the receiver turns on when the Shield wakes up to record a show? If that is the case, that's a huge deal breaker. 

You can configure the Shield not to turn on your TV via CEC.  Personally, I go the other way and have my TV wake up the Shield and then also pass all input through the TV and let CEC pass that on to the Shield.  That way, I can interact with both my TV menus and the shield with the same remote configuration.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

You can configure the Shield not to turn on your TV via CEC.  Personally, I go the other way and have my TV wake up the Shield and then also pass all input through the TV and let CEC pass that on to the Shield.  That way, I can interact with both my TV menus and the shield with the same remote configuration.

^^this

breezytm

Are you using your TV remote? If so, how are you handling the mic on the Shield? 

Currently, I have the Shield turn on both the TV and the receiver. Putting the shield to sleep powers them off as well. I have not been using my harmony remote since I got things setup this way. I really do not wish to lose the voice search which is something my harmony remote lacks. Thanks.