Solution for DirectPlay of flv files for Samsung UE46F6700 SmartTV

pete.marshall

pete.marshall

My Samsung TV supports flv files directly, and I've been using MediaTomb successfully to watch them.

However, I wanted to experiment with emby-server.

I tried setting flv as DirectPlay in the dlna profile, but the tv didn't like it. The emby-server was giving FileNotFound exceptions when the GET request for the stream.flv file came in.

I experimented with vlc, which was working but was transcoding (DirectStreaming) the flv files to ts.

I could not get the tv to accept the transcoded output, even on direct pass-through. (There's still a bug there somewhere).

But then I tried the failing stream.flv url's directly in a web browser, but changed the .flv extension to .mp4 (since I could get mp4 files to work, I wondered what the difference was). I was surprised to find that this worked, and the flv was downloaded (albeit with .mp4 extension). Trying other extensions also worked (mkv, etc) so I wondered what was magic about the .flv extension that it didn't work.

Poking around in the source, I stumbled across the source file ./Emby/MediaBrowser.Api/Playback/Progressive/VideoService.cs which has a hard-coded list of supported file extensions. I added flv to both the GET and the HEAD sections, rebuilt it and it now works.

Now flv files are direct played to my previously un-usable Samsung TV. Result!

Hope that helps someone else.