OT: will Intel i3 chips fit any motherboard currently running intel chipset?

chef

Sorry for my ignorance, but will an intel i3 chip fit a motherboard which is already running intel core 2 duo chipset? Or do I have to have a specific motherboard with a specific cradle for the new i3 chip?

shaefurr

I highly doubt it, most i3's use socket LGA 1155, while core 2 duos usually use LGA 775.

shaefurr

Yeah.. that is if you plan on getting anything other than what your current socket type is in your current motherboard.

Rule of thumb is usually pick a CPU, then a motherboard 2nd that supports the CPU, and go from there.

Why do you ask, have a spare i3 laying around? depending on what you want you can pick up a cheap motherboard for $40-50

Yeah, just got an i3, but now I haven't anywhere to put it. Damn! I will look into a new motherboard.

fantaxp7

It definitely will not in a lga775

Take a look at the socket types, there are different types of i3's with different socket types as well.

shaefurr

Yeah, just got an i3, but now I haven't anywhere to put it. Damn! I will look into a new motherboard.

Ah ok, just check the socket type, probably 1150, 1155 ,1156, and get a motherboard with the same socket and you'll be good to go, if you want to use the same RAM as well, you will need to make sure the motherboard supports your speed of ram too.