BBC iPlayer Plugin?

BigSteve84

BigSteve84

Hi guys

I'm interested in a BBC iplayer plugin, as I'm new to emby I don't no if it's been previously made or is in the works, I've never made a plugin myself so I don't no the work that's involved in making one, if it's not to much for my small brain I'm happy to learn if someone would point me in the right direction.

Thanks

dcrdev

Since the BBC don't have an API for iPlayer - or atleast one that's open to the general public, you'll need to scrape their pages for content and feed locations. This is done for a number of existing plugins using HtmlAgilityPack, so you'll want to learn that .Net and C#.

It's not terribly difficult to make a plugin, there's limited documentation on Github, but it's not complete and things like logging are not well documented; I suspect that's the primary reason there are not more plugins. I would use the ITV plugin as a reference as it's also using HtmlAgilityPack.

BigSteve84

Thanks for the pointers buddy, I no there is one made for kodi, would it be worth looking at that at all? Or would that be so far away from what is needed for Emby?

dcrdev

Thanks for the pointers buddy, I no there is one made for kodi, would it be worth looking at that at all? Or would that be so far away from what is needed for Emby?

Well the Kodi plugin is written in Python, so if you understand Python go ahead; otherwise there isn't much point the only benefit might be less time spent examining the output of each page.

I believe that's using the old BBC APi - before they closed it down. Might be as an example of how to lay out a plugin though.

Since the BBC don't have an API for iPlayer - or atleast one that's open to the general public, you'll need to scrape their pages for content and feed locations. This is done for a number of existing plugins using HtmlAgilityPack, so you'll want to learn that .Net and C#.

It's not terribly difficult to make a plugin, there's limited documentation on Github, but it's not complete and things like logging are not well documented; I suspect that's the primary reason there are not more plugins. I would use the ITV plugin as a reference as it's also using HtmlAgilityPack.

Sorry, but this is against our development policy.  If they don't have a public API we can't just steal their data from their website :).

If it is actually available, sure but I'm not sure it is.  That announcement is 3 years old and note the message at the top:

The BBC Developer site is currently open for registration to BBC Employees. Account requests from other users are not currently being activated. Please check back soon for more info.

dcrdev

Sorry, but this is against our development policy.  If they don't have a public API we can't just steal their data from their website :).

Yes but as I've already mentioned to you in the past you're already breaching your own development policy by providing a plugin for ITV; ITV does not provide an API you are scraping it's pages. Given that just like the BBC you're expected to be a valid UK license holder and it's the law that you have to have one to watch live streams; it's not free content. You ignored this the last time I mentioned it - so I really don't take much stock in your policy when you are violating it yourself.

That being said I doubt if he were to produce a plugin that you'd accept it into the app store - but there's nothing stopping him developing a plugin for his own use or distributing it via other means. This discussion is more about the technical aspects of developing a plugin in the first place - so I think it's perfectly acceptable to talk about here as well.

Is the BBC Nitro API allowed to be used as according to there website you are aloud to use it https://developer.bbc.co.uk/nitro whether it's any good for what I want, I don't no?

The Nitro APi is new and at the moment I believe API keys are only issued to staff.

Edited by dcrdev

Yes but as I've already mentioned to you in the past you're already breaching your own development policy by providing a plugin for ITV; ITV does not provide an API you are scraping it's pages. Given that just like the BBC you're expected to be a valid UK license holder and it's the law that you have to have one to watch live streams; it's not free content. You ignored this the last time I mentioned it - so I really don't take much stock in your policy when you are violating it yourself.

That plug-in was removed from the catalog.