No video, only audio on NVIDIA Shield 2017 recordings on local channels w/MP4

dougw03
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

dougw03

Hello,

I have been running into a very strange corner-case issue since I changed my recordings from MKV to MP4. I have a separate thread where I found what I think is a bug with MKV recordings and so I had to switch to MP4. I am running an NVIDIA Shield 2017 hooked up via HDMI to my AVR which is connected to my TV. I am using an HD HomeRun Prime with Comcast service as my content provider. I noticed that after I switched to MP4, whenever I record shows only on local channels and try to play them back on my Shield TV, the video is black and I only get audio. I have tried recordings on regular cable channels and I do not have any issues. When I play the shows back on my PC, mobile (android), or even my other android TV box (Xiaomi MiBox via HDMI on another TV), the video plays just fine. I know the issue is with MP4 because if I turn off transcoding, the video comes through without any issues. I can get the video to come back if I click the [!] box. Can anyone help me determine what is going on here?

Edited by dougw03

nominion

Try this:  Start playing the recording.  Hit the down arrow on your remote to bring up the menu.  Scroll over to the right to the icon with the ! and click OK.  When prompted for "Playback error", hit yes.  

Edited by nominion

dougw03

Try this:  Start playing the recording.  Hit the down arrow on your remote to bring up the menu.  Scroll over to the right to the icon with the ! and click OK.  When prompted for "Playback error", hit yes.  

Thanks but I mentioned this in my original post and while it does the trick, it is not ideal since I have to do this every time I play the media. 

dougw03

@@ebr, here is one that doesn't work 

VideoCodecMPEG2VIDEO
Codec tagmp4v
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate7497 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
AudioLanguageund
CodecAC3
Codec tagac-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleUnd Dolby Digital 5.1 Default
Containermp4

And here is one that works,

VideoCodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level32
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate59.94006
Bitrate3492 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
NAL4
AudioLanguageund
CodecAC3
Codec tagac-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleUnd Dolby Digital 5.1 Default
Containermp4

dougw03

@@dougw03, are these the same recordings that you're having issues with in the other topic?

@@Luke, no unfortunately that issue stems from MKV transcoding :(. I switched to MP4 from MKV as a workaround and now am getting this issue with MP4 (though only on my Shield TV). The only option I'm left with is to not convert my recordings.

• Solution

@@dougw03, well the one that doesn't work has mpeg2video in an mp4 container. that's not a very common combination so it's not surprising that some players might have trouble with it.

• Like 1

@@dougw03, well the one that doesn't work has mpeg2video in an mp4 container. that's not a very common combination so it's not surprising that some players might have trouble with it.

We actually did that by recording it from Live TV and then packaging it, right?

dougw03

Yea i'm guessing he selected mp4 output with original video.

@@Luke so I guess the workaround is to convert the video when selecting MP4? MPEG2 in a MKV container works on everything I have, but the seek issue is making it unusable.

mpeg2 in mkv should be fine, and yes if selecting mp4 then i would convert. i will respond to the other issue in the topic for it. thanks !