Music coming to Steam OS & Big Picture

shaefurr

shaefurr

So it seems Steam is adding support for music, which I think is a neat idea, and now has people wondering if TV/Movie support will come in the future as well. It would be awesome if it worked well with MB server.

After pointing Steam to the directory that houses your computer’s music collection, you’ll be able to navigate a display of songs, albums and artists directly from the in-game Steam overlay.Steam-music.jpg

You can view the original post here http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/03/coming-soon-to-steam-os-steam-music-integrates-your-music-with-in-game-overlay/

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

Starkadius

Is this really a good thing for MediaBrowser or is it just more competition? Steam is basically becoming another Plex/XBMC if it gets to the point of streaming videos as well. Maybe I just don't see the big picture, no pun intended ;).

shaefurr

Is this really a good thing for MediaBrowser or is it just more competition? Steam is basically becoming another Plex/XBMC if it gets to the point of streaming videos as well. Maybe I just don't see the big picture, no pun intended ;).

I agree there, but I doubt steam will ever put that much effort into other media to make it a real competitor since they've always been so focused on games, but with Gabe who knows what the heck hes ever going to do :P

trooper11

To me, this is more of a competitor to MB.  Steam OS and Big Picture mode on pcs is not a general use environment that MB can take advantage of like say straight up Linux or Windows.  Its more like Media Center.  If Media Center was in active development today, it would be a competitor to MB.

Valve are pushing their platform to become the place to get all your entertainment content, not just games.  Sure its small now, but that is where you start.  They are following the path of Sony, MS, Apple, and Google. 

For me, I've put my money on MB to be the platform that I leverage across all of my devices.  The nice thing is, I can still access all the gaming I want via MB software, even Steam titles. 

• Like 3